Discussions about living off the grid

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
techman
Site Admin

Discussions about living off the grid

Post by techman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Welcome to the off grid living forum. Please feel free to post ideas, experiments and projects related to living off the grid in this forum.

comp2315man

Re: Discussions about living off the grid

Post by comp2315man » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:27 pm

I read your article about making a windmill from a fan. I'm interested in more details about making a generator. How to increase power output, magnets, coils, blade length.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:03 pm

We are working on a new page, expanding on windmills and generators. Please keep us bookmarked and watch for it.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:34 pm

The new generator and windmill wiring page is finished.

You can find it here:

http://www.thediyworld.com/Windmill-And ... -Facts.php

The page contains details about how to wire a generator in the various configurations.

easyname

Im liking the forum and want to do the same

Post by easyname » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:37 am

my credit is shot and I want to still be in school and have a relaxed place where I can potentially have a greenhouse and mini barn for animals . I have an auction pass and have access to some great deals on 5th wheels and travel trailers. Once I find the trailer I would like to have everything setup for the move. Alot goes into picking the prime location right has to be in the sun pretty much and I even heard about facing certain directions.

Wingnut247

Orientation

Post by Wingnut247 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Since you have a movable trailer... Have you thought about adjusting you trailer for the long side facing south in the winter for heat collection and a short side facing south in the summer to reduce heat gain in the summer.

I would also consider a 1x2 framed in "sun room" covered with clear plastic to collect winter solar heat at low cost. This space would double a green house in the early spring to keep your seeds warm. When the heat finally comes just roll up the sides and you would still have a covered space outdoors to keep the rain (and mud) down.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Im liking the forum and want to do the same

Post by techman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:04 pm

easyname wrote:my credit is shot and I want to still be in school and have a relaxed place where I can potentially have a greenhouse and mini barn for animals . I have an auction pass and have access to some great deals on 5th wheels and travel trailers. Once I find the trailer I would like to have everything setup for the move. Alot goes into picking the prime location right has to be in the sun pretty much and I even heard about facing certain directions.
The most important thing, in my experience, is to have the camper shaded in summer and with most of your larger windows facing south in winter to catch some sun (heat).

Summer the leaves are on the trees and you should be under them for shade.

Winter the leaves are gone and you want some passive solar heat coming in those windows.

Keep us up to date on your project.

MotherLodeBeth

Post by MotherLodeBeth » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:50 pm

We belong to the Tiny House Society and know many many people who have build modern clean easy to heat etc tiny homes on wheels for around $5k. http://tinyhousetalk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some great information. Have you heard of them Troy?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:56 am

Yes I have heard of them and may join up in the spring. I hope to build a tiny home or cabin next year.