Tips for the Ubuntu Linux Distribution you recieved...

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
deebster

Tips for the Ubuntu Linux Distribution you recieved...

Post by deebster » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:23 pm

I heard you you complaining about the windows install in some of your videos, and thought "Hey - why doesn't he try out Linux?"

Glad that someone sent you a disc - but as an ubuntu/linux user for a number of years, I have some tips to help you with the install, especially since it will be on a laptop.

First off, as a former IT guy, I'm sure you are well aware that linux is an open source project - a community run by enthusiasts to make the product better with input from users and experience. What this means is that when you go looking for help with any issue you may have, instead of someone being paid a small wage to give you non-helpful answers - what you will find is that their forums are made up of people who actually enjoy what they are doing, and offer their services for free. This alone is worth the learning curve involved in getting started.

As a laptop user, I think you will find linux lasts much longer on a battery charge, due to the fact that it doesn't run a million background programs like "windoze", and dosn't need things like a constant antivirus/antispyware program running 24/7.

Aside from that, the vast majority of the software you can use for free is astounding. For example, there are multiple video editing suites you can download as FULL versions with the only cost to you being the time it takes to learn the ropes, which can be difficult sometimes, but well worth the monetary cost of nothing....

Also keep in mind that Ubuntu is just a flavor of a "type" of linux called Debian. There are many other debian based distros out there, that may suit your needs better than standard ubuntu. Personally, I am not a huge fan of their new-ish user interface compared to older versions - but that can be changed, or like I said, you can try anther distro. You may look in to Ubuntu Studio, Linux Mint, or Lubuntu as alternatives to the "unity app menu."

-----
All that aside, I wanted to give you a tip or two about the install, should you choose to do it. These are things I experienced myself, and had to spend hours fixing or re-installing. I hate to see new linux users get discouraged at first due to the learning curve, because I feel they do not know what they are missing, so maybe this will help you out.

What you received is likely a "live cd/dvd." You can boot your laptop into it and try it first. This is a great feature, but it tends to run slowly since it is all being run from your dvd drive.

This was a big one for me... If/when you choose to install - do yourself a HUGE favor and plug the laptop directly into the modem via ethernet cable. There are a ton of different drivers/etc for wireless cards, graphics on laptops and linux sometimes does not recognize them without first connecting to the internet...But if you can't connect to the internet because you don't have the drivers, how can you download the right drivers? Circular logic... Just keep the LAN cable plugged into the modem and let linux download all updates while installing, bypassing the need for the wireless card. Once finished you may have to still get the OS to search for drivers, but it is pretty good about doing so once everything is installed.

You might consider dual-booting with windows... This means you install linux on half of your hard drive, and windows occupies the other half. When you boot the computer, it will ask you which OS you want to run, which is convenient. The graphical interface installer is pretty straightforward, and lets you make the partitions easily by sliding the mouse. Otherwise, you can install over the whole hard drive, making Ubuntu the only OS on your machine. Even in this state, you can run a windows "virtual machine" very easily and do whatever is needed in windows while still in ubuntu.

Also keep in mind that most everything is open to customization. For example, the newer ubuntu ditros model their window style after the apple/mac style, meaning the close/minimize/maximize is on the opposite side of the window. Just know that little things like this can be changed easily with the help of the forums and a google search.

In all, I think you will have a good time with it - but you will need to spend some precious time learning the ins and outs. But if you have done any real IT work which you say you have - you should be good.

If you have any questions I would be glad to help.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Tips for the Ubuntu Linux Distribution you recieved...

Post by techman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 am

Thank you. I have used Linux in the past but right now I just dont have the time to mess with it and learn how to use a new program. That is why I am so upset with the new Windows. You have to relearn everything.

I will probably get a cheap second hand laptop in spring to play with and try out linux.

hazzic

Post by hazzic » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:09 pm

I think Microsoft will be offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade for Windows 7 users for up to one year, and no time limit for current Windows 8 users. I have been playing with the Technical preview of 10 and while still rough and certainly not ready for release, it's better in it's current unfinished state than Windows 8 was at retail release. I guess that's saying something. Microsoft seems to be sticking to it's trend of botching every 2nd OS.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:38 am

I have mixed feelings about trying a different Microsoft product. Usually the customer is the software tester for them these days. I hate that.

My laptop is not supported by anything but Win 8 unfortunately. HP decided to simply give us one single option and nothing else. Also to cut costs.

Big business is cutting costs at the expense of the customer these days. Its sad. Wish I could go back to Win XP.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:59 pm

It's really easy to use. Things have come a long way over the years. Hopefully you can get a used computer for a good price and give Ubuntu a try. The 64 bit version I sent wont work on a 32 bit computer. I can send the 32 bit version when you need it. :-)
techman wrote:Thank you. I have used Linux in the past but right now I just dont have the time to mess with it and learn how to use a new program. That is why I am so upset with the new Windows. You have to relearn everything.

I will probably get a cheap second hand laptop in spring to play with and try out linux.
--Bryan

thybeast

Post by thybeast » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:53 am

Hi Troy and community this is my first time posting here and I have some links that may be of help for the installation of the Ubuntu disc you've gotten here is a link for alternative downloads for it if for any case you cant use the disc you got 
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is one for information on installing it from the disc

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD

Here is another one for a low memory computer 

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... orySystems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is another one for lubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

Here is an alternative install for lubuntu 
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... ateInstall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps if needed , have a great day or night if you need anymore help dont hesitate to ask i will help in anyway I can  

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:48 pm

Bryan,

Thank you.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:50 pm

thybeast,

Thank you for the help. What I love about the forum is that I can always come back and find stuff later. Like when I eventually get another small computer.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:33 pm

thybeast wrote:Hi Troy and community this is my first time posting here and I have some links that may be of help for the installation of the Ubuntu disc you've gotten here is a link for alternative downloads for it if for any case you cant use the disc you got 
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is one for information on installing it from the disc

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD

Here is another one for a low memory computer 

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... orySystems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is another one for lubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

Here is an alternative install for lubuntu 
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... ateInstall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps if needed , have a great day or night if you need anymore help dont hesitate to ask i will help in anyway I can  
Unfortunately Troy's Internet connection isn't fast enough. It would take him a long time to download Ubuntu Linux. It's just easier for me to download it and mail it to him. 60/60Mbps.
--Bryan