Free fuel from the Off Grid Motor Home

Fuel savings and tuning experiments
Dave Thacker

Post by Dave Thacker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Troy, Don't give that old fuel away. Here is how to use it up. I've used this procedure several times in my life and it's always worked fine.

First we need to get it out. Siphon it carefully into 5 gallon cans. If there is an anti- siphon device, remove the rubber hose from the fill neck and stick your siphon hose in there.

Now, pour off the top of your siphoned fuel (leave a gallon in the bottom) into another can through an old tee shirt to filter it of rust and such. Add a bottle of Gas Dry (alcohol) to your filtered fuel. You can add an octane booster as well if you want. Shake the can to mix it well.

Your fuel should be free of water now. You're leaving a gallon in the bottom of the siphon cans so that any water collects there. Your using the Gas Dry product to absorb out any water you might have missed or accidentally got in the good can.

Take your refreshed old fuel and add it to 1/2 full tank. There shouldn't be any problem burning it off a little at a time like this. Even if it's very weak, your mixing your 4 gallons into 15 of fresh fuel. No big deal. Use it up, it's free other than the pennys you have in Gas Dry.

It will then be much easier to remove the tanks if you want to rinse them out in case of rust.

You can even get rid of gasoline in a diesel truck pouring a 1/2 gallon at a time into a full tank. Just be sure to filter it and use some Gas Dry so you don't introduce any water into the system.
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

andrewdawiss

Post by andrewdawiss » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Yeah the first time i used Fuel Injector Cleaner the STP stuff it was not bad, but then it was just a waste of money after that like many others have said

techman
Site Admin

Re: Free fuel from the Off Grid Motor Home

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:53 pm

When I ever get to the project of restoring the engine on this old thing, then I may use your idea. Or I can mix it with old motor oil to burn for heat in my RV

bigtime2278

Post by bigtime2278 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:32 pm

there is a way to run your generators off of just a wood burning stove if you search it on YouTube it will tell you how to do that its a renewable source of fuel to keep the generators running if the wood stove is burning I tried it and the generator runs fine and you don't need a carburetor for the Toro if you do the trick.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Yes it is on the drawing board here. I plan to get that going in the spring.

tazmanddevil67

Post by tazmanddevil67 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 am

To whom it may concern, Any gas you buy today is No Less than 24 months old. I recommend Seafoam for everything that runs on gas. it can be added to the gas and the oil. It will cleanout the crud = Deposits in the engine.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:10 pm

I use sea foam to clean out old engines all the time. Amazing stuff.