Kill bugs dead

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
hi_tech_guy_18

Kill bugs dead

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:32 pm

You could get a few Rechargeable UV Bug zapper lights
not my attempt to sell you anything just allowing you to know they exist
http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Indoor-Ou ... 003LR4WZI/

There a is method to make the More effective to attract stubborn bug types
- Rotten Meat to attract flys
-- the meat allowed a week to rot in the light will Pull flys out the air towards the light The meat is like 1cmx1cm square you put it on an bit of clingfilm to its esy to remove after 2 weeks
- Something sweet like peppermint to attract Mosquitos (They are the little flys that have been eating you alive) (Oh You jut found a use for that useless peppermint spray)
You Lightly Spray the PCB in the light (Thing that zaps bugs) wait 10 - 20 mins for it to Dry and switch on and take outside with you hopefully they will go more for the Bug Light than you

hi_tech_guy_18

Re: Kill bugs dead

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:49 pm

However You are better off with mains ones
http://www.amazon.com/Flowtron-BK-15D-E ... 00004R9VZ/
The higher wattage the UV bulb the more effective they work

DonJon

Post by DonJon » Tue May 14, 2013 7:42 am

What concerns me more are the ticks. For Troys health and the health of the cat!
- John Donaway
http://fastinghelp.org

TonysShadow

Post by TonysShadow » Tue May 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Yep...I wonder about those ticks up north, where Troy is. Seems like everytime I here about lyme disease..its in the northeast.
Considering how dense the woods are where he is I think I would first try to build little nesting boxes, put up in trees and such.
Attracting bats and various birds, then think about the good spiders, frogs and lizards.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed May 15, 2013 10:25 am

hi_tech_guy_18 wrote:You could get a few Rechargeable UV Bug zapper lights
not my attempt to sell you anything just allowing you to know they exist
http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Indoor-Ou ... 003LR4WZI/

There a is method to make the More effective to attract stubborn bug types
- Rotten Meat to attract flys
-- the meat allowed a week to rot in the light will Pull flys out the air towards the light The meat is like 1cmx1cm square you put it on an bit of clingfilm to its esy to remove after 2 weeks
- Something sweet like peppermint to attract Mosquitos (They are the little flys that have been eating you alive) (Oh You jut found a use for that useless peppermint spray)
You Lightly Spray the PCB in the light (Thing that zaps bugs) wait 10 - 20 mins for it to Dry and switch on and take outside with you hopefully they will go more for the Bug Light than you
I will be getting some solar bug zappers when I get a chance.

The little flies bugging me are not mosquitoes, but no-see-ums, or midges. Horrible little biting things. They are smaller and very hard to swat with your hands due to the tiny size.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed May 15, 2013 10:25 am

DonJon wrote:What concerns me more are the ticks. For Troys health and the health of the cat!

Yeah, me too. Hate those evil things

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed May 15, 2013 10:26 am

TonysShadow wrote:Yep...I wonder about those ticks up north, where Troy is. Seems like everytime I here about lyme disease..its in the northeast.
Considering how dense the woods are where he is I think I would first try to build little nesting boxes, put up in trees and such.
Attracting bats and various birds, then think about the good spiders, frogs and lizards.

Guinea hens love ticks and are often raised for that purpose. But at $25 each, they are out of my price range. You also need extra due to predators.

TonysShadow

Post by TonysShadow » Wed May 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Guinea hens love ticks and are often raised for that purpose. But at $25 each, they are out of my price range. You also need extra due to predators.[/quote]

Youre definitely in a predicament. Trying to walk a fine line as a homesteader...but a renter. 25 bucks for a goofy yard bird is borderline piracy though. Ive never seen fewer than 15 or so at a time....whew!

TonysShadow

Post by TonysShadow » Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 pm

TonysShadow wrote:Guinea hens love ticks and are often raised for that purpose. But at $25 each, they are out of my price range. You also need extra due to predators.
Youre definitely in a predicament. Trying to walk a fine line as a homesteader...but a renter. 25 bucks for a goofy yard bird is borderline piracy though. Ive never seen fewer than 15 or so at a time....whew![/quote]

Hmmm... Let me get back to you on this subject

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sun May 19, 2013 10:13 am

That is another problem. Normally you have to buy 15 or more at a time at $25 each. Ouch.

And you have to get extras to figure in losses to predators.