How about a new user welcome topic

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
mrreality13

Re: How about a new user welcome topic

Post by mrreality13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:07 pm

techman wrote:I am happy to hear that I have inspired people. Hope your new home turns out well. I always dreamed of living in a house boat.
just a FYI its up on cinder blocks placed under its pontoons plus the pontoons make a good wind blocker as well as being like 4 feet of clearance under may make a good spot 4 storage in some of those really large rubbermaid totes. few mice issues from its height(ironically 2 days after i watched your last mouse video, i found signs of mice but located 2 holes sealed w/ steel wool/expandin foam semed to be the ONLY 2 holes)
Never ever approach a puter thinking this will only take a minute

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Yeah I caught that it was on land. But its still a house boat. Still pretty cool. Wonder if it will ever float again.

Can you post some pics?

mrreality13

Post by mrreality13 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:18 pm

ill post some this weekend or mon if i get a chance -na i doubt it would float the steel pontoons have sevral football sized rust holes in em plus mice and other critters got to the foam in them-youl get a better idea when i post picts-or if we can post videos ill do a short video ?

mrreality13

Post by mrreality13 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:06 pm

picts will be a bit cant find camera

Sucksatmath

Post by Sucksatmath » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:40 am

I'm new and just trying to figure things out. I have a project in designing a LED lamp. Who can help? :?:

tweakinreaper

Post by tweakinreaper » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:16 am

Here to make my first post on the forum. I have been watching for a video every day for a few or more months now. I am on a VERY slow connection as it takes 2+hours to download each video from youtube via Tubemate(Android) or Wondershare AllMyTubes(Windows7)(the apartments I recently moved into offers free WIFI but limits it to 3-15Kbps and when tether my laptop to my cell phone I get about the same speed on T-Mobile 2G network.

I see you have the wood burning stove going great but it keeps going out. For a longer burn what bout getting the used oil setup dripping into the top of the barrel? This would slow the burn of the wood and make your new wood stockpile last much longer. dont forget to place the oil barrel high in the wood stove room to preheat/keep the oil warm. Where can I get an address to send you things I come across you may need? like some Nyquil ;)

How about setting up the propane shower heater under your bathroom sink to help heat that area as well as give you a hot indoor shower? Can the hot water heater be set up with valves to either run your hot shower or recirculate hot water in the wall/floor heaters you planned on setting up(does the hot water heater have a thermostat to turn off heat when incoming water is hot enough?) If you get it set up with the valves, you could make your bed heated from under. Nothing like a warm bed(although babycat may never leave the bed then. lol)

Have you considered making a log splitter from a hydraulic bottle jack? With 2 junk car batteries(I know you wouldn't dare torture your deep cycle batteries) you can make a welder to build a frame and for some serious log splitting power.

Have you seen the youtube video of a 4 cinder block rocket stove?
Here is an image of the 5 cinder block rocket stove. If you can cut both ends of the 2nd to the bottom cinder block you can make a dual burner stove that could save alot of propane when cooking for 2, not to mention how nice it would be to have dual burners for canning season next year right next to the garden you picked from with your new(er) portable SHTF kitchen sink.

And as always something included for babycat.....
If you can find 2 3-5 gallon Rubbermaid bins(at least one clear with a lid) of like sizes and a desktop water fountain(I find these at yard sales for under a buck or 2 for its micro water pump,you can make a micro sized aquaponic system to grow catnip/catgrass for babycat and she can watch the the fish swim all day. Its an entertaining edibles enjoyment epicenter for your cat that fits on the counter and with the micro fountain pump, it should use very little power. You can cut a hole smaller than babycats paw to use a funnel to feed the fish without having to remove the lid. My first aquaponic system I ever built was with a squared 5 gallon tidy cats kitty litter bucket, a puke bin from the hospital, a desktop water fountain pump. and for the bell siphon, I used a uniseal, a casing of a Bic pen, a prescription medicine bottle, and a baby bottle that takes bags as a gravel guard.

LOVE the daily videos. keep up the GREAT work.
(as of your current videos get well soon!)

jos6i

Post by jos6i » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:58 pm

After writing my proposal of an introduction topic, I find it right here. Excuse me.
My name is Jose, call me jos6i, interested in renewables, solar mainly and off grid living. MHope the fact of just reading, posting and voting may be of any help to Troy.
Saying hello to everybody and wishing a good day

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:16 pm

jos6i wrote:After writing my proposal of an introduction topic, I find it right here. Excuse me.
My name is Jose, call me jos6i, interested in renewables, solar mainly and off grid living. MHope the fact of just reading, posting and voting may be of any help to Troy.
Saying hello to everybody and wishing a good day
Welcome to the forum

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:17 pm

At tweakinreaper,

Thanks for the info. The cement block rockets stove works from what I have studied online.

Baby cat would probably love having some fish and fresh catnip.

lunaria

Post by lunaria » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi, my name is Lunaria.
Found Troy's videos yesterday and can't stop watching them!

I have a dream and a small piece of land to set it on. I fell in love with Simple Living about 15 years ago and have slowly been changing my life, practicing my skills and am about to move on my dream. I spend most of my time planning my tiny home (shed or remodeled camper). Haven't quite decided which it can be yet.

Excited to be to chat with like minded people. :lol: