Your Biggest Asset

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
steven

Your Biggest Asset

Post by steven » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:32 am

Troy, I think this forum is your biggest asset, people who come here are genuine, and have a sense of community. If I was in your position, I would not respond to the comments on YT, let your friends defend you there, and spend time here where people can help keep you centred. Also, remind people in your videos that the real community is this forum and that your YT videos are just an extension of this community. Put a link to this forum in all your videos and use the banning tool to keep out the trolls, get some good moderators to lend a hand, and turn this into the best DIY Forum on the web. Think of it like a giant class room, there are people out here that need an outlet for the talent that God has invested in there lives. They can be of great help to fledgling preppers, or to members that do not naturally posses a particular skill set. Use this forum to build relationships with manufactures and suppliers that would advertise products that they send in for review. Start a community minute, close each video by reading some good nugget that was talked about on the forum, you do not have to read the name of the author, unless they give permission, because the visitor or new member will see it when they read that post for themselves, just say something like one of our teachers writes or a members writes. People want to belong to something larger then themselves, they oft times live their lives vicariously through your videos, some secretly wish they could do what you are doing. Bring them into the fold where others can help you minister to their needs. Maybe you can start a co-op where members can get cheaper pricing from the sponsors of the forum, you could link the forum to a Word Press site using woo-commerce and one of their free store themes that uses an affiliate plug-in to give the co-op discount and full price to non-forum members. If a member produces or makes something they would like to sell on the co-op site, have them submit a sample for review and if it meets with members approval, add it to the co-op store. This is a great way to build community. Remember there is wisdom in a multitude of council, develop an inner circle that you and your members can trust to do the right and honourable thing. Invite other YT cinematographers of good reputation and having a particular talent to come alongside and help, becoming members themselves and promote the community by posting links to their YT videos and starting discussions on topics like canning, sewing, woodworking, and so on.
Remember “All about me, tiny as can be, all about us it can be momentous” sf.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Your Biggest Asset

Post by techman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:19 am

Wow, you have some awesome ideas there. Thanks a lot.

I actually have decided to start working on the forum a lot more in the future. I am going to put a link to the forum in every video comment from now on. I have it in the description already but it never gets read.

I like some of your ideas and will use some right away. As I said, I already had decided to put links in the videos, even before reading this. Interesting.

Some ideas would take a long time and a lot of help. I am one person running multiple websites and my videos plus the homestead work so its hard for me to work with companies.

I do hope to grow this forum more. It has huge potential and is growing nicely.