No Till Gardening

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
Bighill Ky Bear

No Till Gardening

Post by Bighill Ky Bear » Sun May 31, 2015 4:26 pm

Troy, I wanted to know if you have ever tried the no till garden? It is one of the ways I have used for years and it works great. That way you will not destroy the micros in the soil. and also save on the waste of gas in your tiller. Here is the process:
first lay out a layer of cardboard an news papers
Next layer the mulch mix with compost on top.
Then you can set out all of your gardening in a few days.

techman
Site Admin

Re: No Till Gardening

Post by techman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Yup, doing it now. Sorry for the late reply. Did not see your post before now.

I figure you must have seen my newest video showing that I am doing just that :D

Bighill Ky Bear

Post by Bighill Ky Bear » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:12 pm

Why yes I seen it today to be the fact. you will not have much trouble out of weeds if done right. I have also thank RSL for guiding me in the process here in Ky.
Enjoy,
Kentucky Bighill Bear

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:39 am

It is one way to clear up all the leaves around here from last fall while building up a layer on top of the cardboard. And then the tree mulch I have will go on top of that.

Should be perfect for planting next year. This year I will either put a mound of dirt around each plant and then cover with mulch or dig a hole for each plant. Still deciding on that one.

Bighill Ky Bear

Post by Bighill Ky Bear » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Troy,
From what I found out here in Ky putting the soil down first was the best way to be able to set the plants. Then cover them up again with as much as you can. It should be fine,that I have learned when I was doing my own research on my corn,sweet potatoes,tomatoes,and peppers and my herbs.

Bighill Ky Bear

Post by Bighill Ky Bear » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:41 pm

additional note to my last post: the corn I was referring to is one that I have been trying to develop for the past 7-8 years. It has the color of Burgundy and is to be used as a meal corn.

Linda Clor

Post by Linda Clor » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:31 am

These are great ideas. I wish I had read this article earlier this spring.
Linda

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Yes you are correct. But sadly in my case I dont have enough topsoil to cover the entire garden. So I will have a sort of modified raised bed plan for now. Just mounds of dirt on top of the weed proof barrier. Next year I will just spread it all out and then add more soil on top. Plus more mulch and leaves. Lots and lots of leaves. Perfect fertilizer from nature.