A Day At The Off Grid Homestead And Tiny House *example post

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
OutOfPlaceNinja

A Day At The Off Grid Homestead And Tiny House *example post

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:33 pm

**This is an example post of how Troy could post video updates to the forum**

A Day At The Off Grid Homestead And Tiny House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiNd0MSMsUE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have been a bit under the weather so to say so Monday and Tuesday videos are combined. I actually did not do too much on these days outside of the normal shoveling snow, feeding and caring for animals and splitting fire wood every day as usual.

My forklift battery is still always showing a resting voltage of 12.2 volts since the day I got it home. I fear it may have something wrong with it. I have pumped a lot of current into these batteries every day but still they are not holding any usable energy it seems. I have not yet pulled anything out of them after the sun goes down. I use all the solar energy I can during the day but nothing at all at night even now.

I will do some more hydrometer readings in the next days and share with you my results.

I connected my new wind turbine blocking diode into my system so I can produce some power from the wind. This was simple because I already had the wires in place. I just cut the leads off the dead diode and crimped them into place on the new wind turbine blocking diode.

This new blocking diode is rated at 1,000 volts and 25 amps. I will put a heat sink on it soon as well for proper thermal protection. But for now with the wind turbine at its present elevation, there is not really much power being produced at all.

Baby cat is enjoying cat TV every day at the window. The little birds are here eating worms that fall out of the wood I split every day. This makes for great entertainment for her. I sometimes let her out the door for a while and then she cries to be let back in when she is ready. Right now it is relatively safe to let her out on her own because the snow on the ground keeps her on the paths that I have shoveled out. She keeps to the trenches in the snow. This keeps her close to home and away from hawks and other predators. Another good thing is that there are no ticks right now due to the snow on the ground so she can be safely let out unprotected.

Soon, after the snow melts off the ground, I can no longer just let her wander on her own.

I have been cooking on top of the wood stove all the time now. My wood stove is the primary cooking surface now. No matter if it is hot water for tea or coffee, water for bathing, baking or steaming vegetables. The wood stove is perfect for cooking all the time now.

Follow my daily progress on the path to self sufficiency on my off grid solar homestead.
https://www.youtube.com/user/techman201 ... 10&sort=dd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please donate to help keep The Off Grid Project ™ going: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... SWXLLRZ6HW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Join The Off Grid Project ™ and The Do It Yourself World ™ forum and share your ideas, tips and projects.
http://www.thediyworld.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Off Grid Project ™ is presented by The Do It Yourself World ™.
http://www.TheDIYworld.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keywords: off grid homestead, solar tiny house, tiny home, tiny house, solar home, solar cottage, tiny cottage, the off grid project, the diy world, the do it yourself world

===============

Some notes and suggestions:
* Create a board titled maybe "YouTube" or similar.
* One post per video
* Replies to post can be comments to video
* Another possibility if Troy decides is to make a board titled maybe YouTube Videos and have a sub board for his videos which could allow him to allow other forum members he trusts to have their own board for their videos that could be beneficial to Troys forum.
* Another possibility is embedding of the video into the post but it seems Troy has such disabled (probably for good reasons).

This post is simply an example post with some notes on how Troy "could" do it and a place where other forum users could chime in with their opinions/advice/etc concerning Troy posting video updates to the forum.

Shootist

Re: A Day At The Off Grid Homestead And Tiny House *example

Post by Shootist » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:14 pm

So why can we not embed youtube videos?

Is it because Flash is disabled?
"Libertarians are such elitists. They think you know how to run your own life better than they do."

OutOfPlaceNinja

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Shootist wrote:So why can we not embed youtube videos?

Embeds can be potentially used by nefarious individuals for nefarious deeds. Of course there are workarounds specifically for forums. Some forums have addons that automatically turn a YouTube video link into an embedded video while still keeping other forms of embed disabled.

Shootist

Post by Shootist » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:08 pm

OutOfPlaceNinja wrote:

Embeds can be potentially used by nefarious individuals for nefarious deeds. Of course there are workarounds specifically for forums. Some forums have addons that automatically turn a YouTube video link into an embedded video while still keeping other forms of embed disabled.
I don't care if I can post vids or not. But is makes tremendous sense for Troy to embed his videos here so that, going forward users don't have to go back and forth between youtube, yet the view counts remain the same. And it will encourage comments to be made here, rather than on Youtube.

There should be a new topic created for each new video and the comment will go below.

Just saying.
"Libertarians are such elitists. They think you know how to run your own life better than they do."

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Actually someone just today sent me some software to embed YT videos into my website. It will take me a few days to a week to get familiar with it and to get it going.

When it is finished I will post the info here on the forum and the links to it.

So far it looks very good and quite promising.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:17 pm

Shootist wrote:
OutOfPlaceNinja wrote:

I don't care if I can post vids or not. But is makes tremendous sense for Troy to embed his videos here so that, going forward users don't have to go back and forth between youtube, yet the view counts remain the same. And it will encourage comments to be made here, rather than on Youtube.

There should be a new topic created for each new video and the comment will go below.

Just saying.
I think YT quit using flash. And nice to see you here.
--Bryan