Discussions related to security cameras (how to)

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
OutOfPlaceNinja

Discussions related to security cameras (how to)

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:21 am

I know Troy wants to get his IP cameras online but may have issues with doing it as it sounds like he will. This thread I hope will bring together those who want to help him get his cameras online without issues and help him with the actual setup. Also hope it will be a thread discussing the various ways to go about it so others can see how they could do such.

My personal suggestion is for him to setup his cameras to stream to some online video host so his connection only deals with uploading one decent quality stream, then the host distributes the stream to viewers.

I came across the following video a minute ago which reminded me and shows one simple setup using ustream.tv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHe3xAgjN4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are many ways to do what he wants to do, so let's discuss it.

george house

Re: Discussions related to security cameras (how to)

Post by george house » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:22 am

watched the link, it is old, and commenters said it is not free now, ispy is free, i use it, good for me, use port forwarding. do you have a system as you suggest for troy, running. not so many trolls on the videos now that i can see, do you see them. did you get snow like troy, i have, have a good one :D

OutOfPlaceNinja

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:47 pm

george house wrote:watched the link, it is old, and commenters said it is not free now, ispy is free, i use it, good for me, use port forwarding. do you have a system as you suggest for troy, running. not so many trolls on the videos now that i can see, do you see them. did you get snow like troy, i have, have a good one :D
The issue I see with his hosting the streams himself is bandwidth. Streaming video takes a lot of bandwidth that I doubt he will be able to get to his location. He might could support 2-3 viewers at any given time (more if he sacrifices quality and detail in the video streams). I'm sure there would be at least a few dozen people wanting to view his cams whenever they come online (I for one would like to lol).

As for snow, yes, eight inches of the stuff overnight in an area that typically sees 2-4 inches per winter (give or take). I've missed more days of work over the last two weeks than I have missed in six years due to snow and black ice on the roads and a vehicle that doesn't handle the snow well.

george house

Post by george house » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:02 pm

wow, i am retired so do not miss work, althogh i liked but health no can do, lol, snow blower is my best friend here, i am k0k1h0 postal code, would you give yours

ispy, are you familar

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:24 pm

Thank you for starting this thread. I will use it when/if I run into trouble.

The idea for now is to use a second internet line, which I already have. I recently upgraded to a second line just for web cameras.

I have 1 mb upload speed. Thats all.

Now my idea is to upload the video feed to my own website using an embedded program. This will allow me to put ads around the video feed on a static webpage.

The way I will have to reduce bandwidth is to reduce frame rate. Maybe 15 frames per second. Shaky but still usable.

I will update things as I got but right now the snow is slowing me down out here.

george house

Post by george house » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:33 pm

troy i'd recommend ispy, check it out, your smarter than me. i think it will work as you like to. so then if so, only if they pass the forum stuff, we can watch, not all of the 22000 will look or even do all of the 22000 watch the yt. -14c here and we are going into a freezing period again, my heating gas in way up from last year at this time, as per the forcaster, 1010-5 pressure and that is a higher than the daytime. have a good one :D

OutOfPlaceNinja

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 am

If I remember correct, there are ways to have embedded players on websites connect to and stream remote content (like from your home cameras). Don't remember the details right off though.

If things get too tight with the bandwidth, you may could switch to static images uploaded every so many seconds (watch out as some web hosts don't like this).

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:00 pm

george house wrote:troy i'd recommend ispy, check it out, your smarter than me. i think it will work as you like to. so then if so, only if they pass the forum stuff, we can watch, not all of the 22000 will look or even do all of the 22000 watch the yt. -14c here and we are going into a freezing period again, my heating gas in way up from last year at this time, as per the forcaster, 1010-5 pressure and that is a higher than the daytime. have a good one :D
I have ispy on my laptop. It records video when something moves in front of the camera. Caught someone on film back in the fall one night, messing around and trying to scare me. Did not get a face but clearly saw it was a person running around out here. Until he saw the glow of the camera. Hid behind the tree looking at it. Then I went out with the 12 ga. Fired a round into the air. Then all was quiet again in the meadow.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:00 pm

OutOfPlaceNinja wrote:If I remember correct, there are ways to have embedded players on websites connect to and stream remote content (like from your home cameras). Don't remember the details right off though.

If things get too tight with the bandwidth, you may could switch to static images uploaded every so many seconds (watch out as some web hosts don't like this).
I may end up doing just that actually. I will see how the bandwidth can handle the load.