Wood gasifier

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
bindi the electric

Wood gasifier

Post by bindi the electric » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 am

Hi there !

I´m Michael from Augsburg Germany.
As i showed Troy the fotos of my wood gasifier heating system he suggested to bring it on the forum.
It´s a Fröling S4. With this Monster we heat around 1000 sqm. According to the outside temperatue
we feed about a cord to one and a half a day.

Last weekend i had a testrun with a paperbriquettepress. My yard is a bit bigger and has a lot of trees. Therefore the ammount of leafs in autumn is heavy. So i came up with the idea to mix them with sawdust from the firewood processing and paper and press briquettes of it and burn it in the gasifier.
When i found out how to upload pictures i´ll attache fotos of it!

Michael

techman
Site Admin

Re: Wood gasifier

Post by techman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:28 am

Wow, that is burning a lot of wood though.

I cant wait to see the photos. You can go below the text edit area and you will see "options" and "upload attachment". There you can upload photos.

OutOfPlaceNinja

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 am

Wood gasification has many uses if done right. Can run gasoline powered engines, can get more heat from a given amount of wood, and could potentially be used to generate electricity (power a small engine on wood gas and use it to turn a generator).

The issue I keep coming across with wood gas for use in engines is an improperly designed wood gasifier can and will tar up the insides of an engine. A good setup can reduce this but it seems no design can fully eliminate this.

I'm not for certain (as I'm not very well versed in wood gas) but I suspect the secondary combustion chamber in many wood stoves basically burn wood gas (and in the process burn up other things that could pollute the air) and in return put off more heat.

This YouTuber has some useful videos about wood gas: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTeslonian/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Yes that is what keeps me from using wood gas right now. It is filthy.

And correct some wood stoves and rocket stoves burn this gas to get a full combustion and more efficiency. I believe my new tiny house wood stove does this some because it is very efficient.

OutOfPlaceNinja

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:29 am

I found the videos (finally) I wanted to share.

Gasifier wood stove:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZnX9a0P8w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wood stove runs a generator "final video" make's gasoline, and propane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o5M6v1eD4I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would also like to note there are "tar free" gasifier videos on YouTube. How tar free not sure but some have had good success with wood gasifiers that are setup well. Avoid the FEMA wood gasifiers as they will tar up anything quick.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:03 pm

I have seen the second video before. This guy really knows his stuff. But it seems a bit complex for me right now. That is a lot of equipment but he has a good thing going on.