Green Hosues

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
Solar98632

Green Hosues

Post by Solar98632 » Sun May 04, 2014 1:05 pm

We need a topic on epxpieireinces with Green houses.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Green Hosues

Post by techman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:22 am

Anyone out there with experience on green houses?

I think its a great topic for this forum. I have been studying green houses and passive homes. I plan to build a passive solar porch on my new tiny home. The solar porch will collect the heat of the sun during sunny winter days. Opening a double glass door in the kitchen will allow heated air to enter my home from the porch. Some solar absorbing black colored material on the back wall of the porch will help heat up the porch even more. Solar storage mass such as masonry or water containers will retain the heat and give it back off at night.

When its cold on the porch or the sun is not shining (night), then I can close the glass doors and keep the heat inside the house.

This is only the beginning though.

The green part of my tiny home is that it will be fully off the grid. No connections to any outside utilities. Recycling of gray water for gardening, composting toilet to provide garden fertilizer. Solar and wind power for energy. Rain water collection from the roof for water supply.

Inside I will have only LED lighting. I already got 60 feet of LED light strips off ebay for only a few dollars. Got lucky on some auctions with no other bids. I plan to use indirect LED lighting in my tiny home for a warm, cozy light.