Zoning & Building Codes/Regulations

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
SurplusSupply

Zoning & Building Codes/Regulations

Post by SurplusSupply » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:50 pm

I would like to suggest a new topic: What are the laws concerning off-grid and tiny homes in your state/country? Troy is struggling with this in New York as we speak.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Zoning & Building Codes/Regulations

Post by techman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:59 am

I am still struggling through all the codes right now. I have been told that I cannot live in an RV, trailer, camper or mobile home. That would eliminate tiny homes. I think that is only for tax purposes though to keep the property values higher.

Sewage disposal is a huge swamp to wade through. I know that composting toilets are legal but grey water disposal is a tough one. Its like they find shower water worse for the environment than toilet waste.

I will share my experiences on video when I figure it all out.

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:10 am

I am sure that your state is particularly strict. One thing I have learned through experience is that the authorities would tell you NOTHING is legal just to keep you out of their hair. They are not concerned with your off-grid livelihood. Know the law. Best of luck! :D

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:11 am

Thanks but the problem is that you are correct. They say its all illegal but that cannot be true because so many people live in tiny homes and trailers. I have to find out what is allowed but it is so confusing and complicated. Still digging through it all.

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 pm

I am so sorry, man. I just watched the video about "eviction notice." I hope you can find a place nearby to rent, so you don't have to carry those supplies and vehicles so far. Whatever you do next, wherever you have to go, DO NOT let anyone know of your address. Keep up the fighting spirit!

Jc01

Post by Jc01 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:19 pm

I also enjoy watching your videos on youtube, I'm sorry to see the eviction notice video. I hope your able to work something out Troy.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:13 am

thats a slam Troy!, but not over yet!!
we will support in all advice we can give!! keep it up, and thry to find a way out!
keep us posted, for better or worse!

fight the strange rules the gott at your place anyway you can ( in a leagle way afcource!)

no one there to help you in leagle matters??

keep it up mate!, we will support what we can!, thumbs up, put your shoulders under it!! ;)
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

Frozenoem

Post by Frozenoem » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:43 am

I know what's legal in my State, only because I've lived where septic systems are required for a house in SOME parts of the state but, in other areas sewage storage tanks (not septic system), outhouse or even humanure toilet and composting bins are allowed in the more rural areas or unorganized townships.
Near as I can tell half of your problems with the state or county comes from the fact that you don't own the land, and that is the equivalent of leasing the land up here. Your allowed to own maybe a camp or the buildings you put on it, but, not the land If you want to do ANYTHING on your rented land it must be in the lease spelled out, you have to do what the county/state and leaseholder tell you to do. Otherwise it's move your house, rv's, camps and get out.
Are there no legal aides or lawyers in your church or friends, to assist you in wading through the septic requirements. Remember - most of your subscribers have no clue about your city or town - unless they've sent packages to you.
If you can't afford a septic system and your town/county/state requires an in-place black gray water system some locales allow underground tanks that are pumped out yearly much as they'd use on an island or in very rocky locales, state parks. In my town 1000 gallon tanks are $100 bucks to pump out but, I have a septic system and only do that every 10 years.

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 am

Thank you for your input and support!

Greg

Post by Greg » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 am

With so many people watching and a few low life's gunning for Troy.
Step 1) study forwards and backwards the township by laws, building regulations and what is required to obtain an occupancy permit. If you plan to live "on wheels'" learn the special conditions and what is permitted.
Step 2) contact the regional health unit or agency governing wells and sewage and here also know the rules and laws
Step 3) formulate a proposal for your dwelling, water and sewage and make sure it complies, where it may NOT comply completely you may need step 4
Step 4) get help either legal, gov't, friend or maybe even an experienced local contractor to polish your plan to get it legal
Step 5) take your plan to the township office, building/planning dept and the health unit to get their input and comments to get you into compilation

AND ABOVE ALL PLAY NICE, THERE SHOULD BE A WAY TO GET THIS TO WORK