FOOD

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
MotherLodeBeth

FOOD

Post by MotherLodeBeth » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Can we talk about food? Living off the grid and a good 30 miles from a decent sized town (Jackson CA to the west Sonora CA to the east) I know that especially in winter having plenty of food and eating high nutrient rich foods daily is so important.

In fact it can not only keep you alive, but prevent you from getting sick. One can live in a tent, with a wood stove or fire burning 24/7 even with snow on the ground and as long as we have plenty of food and eat well daily we get thru the winter just fine.

In fact we backpack in winter to snow camp and have REI -30* sleeping bags, thermal underwear and warm clothing, shoes and we do well. Mainly because we eat on average 2000 calories a day for women 3000 for men. Food is fuel and fuel keeps you warmer, and keeps you healthy. And because we are so active we burn most of the calories off.

Yet I worry that Troy and others trying to live off grid, are NOT getting enough food per day. How many calories a day are you eating Troy?
Anyone have anything wisdom to share?

techman
Site Admin

Re: FOOD

Post by techman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Yes of course we can talk about food.

I am aware of the fact that you need at least 2,000 calories on average, even more when working hard.

I am also aware of the fact that I do not get enough recently. It is my own fault because I have so much work to do that I forget to eat. Then when it is time to eat I rush through so I can get more work done. Its part of living off the grid alone. So much to do. But I do have to take care of myself. Down time from illness is a waste of time anyway.

Cant wait for next year. I hope to put away a lot of food.

MotherLodeBeth

Post by MotherLodeBeth » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm

After my husband died I got so busy doing things to be totally off grid and many an evening I would be tired and not feeling well only to realize I hadn't been eating. Between a physician friend and a couple friends from church I was told I would end up in the hospital unless I changed. Did not listen and ended up in ICU with a weakened immune system that was wrecking havoc on my liver, kidney and intestines. Trust me I changed my ways when I got home. Eating healthy became a priority like drinking more water and getting enough sleep.

Do you need food Troy? Or is it just that you don't make cooking and eating a priority? Either way I and others will help if you need the help.

You have so many leaves at your place. To bad you don't have access to a power mower with a grass catcher so you could dump them three feet thick on the right side of your vegetable garden so come spring you would have rich composted soil. Anyone have a wood chipper you could borrow to chip a couple truck loads of wood chips to dump on top of the composted leaves like we do per Back to Eden style gardening?

I am Beth DeRoos on Facebook and email is MotherLodeBeth@aol.com God bless and please get well.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply. I do have enough food now but was just not eating well enough due to all the stress. I will do better from now on. I promise.