Video recording and editing

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
Riverrockjumper

Video recording and editing

Post by Riverrockjumper » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:54 am

Troy, I have been enjoying your video' on YouTube for a couple of months now. I am wondering if you can share the process of editing your videos including the software you use, camera settings and where you store such large files before you place on YouTube. I know this may be an unusual request but after trying to learn this process I have been bogged down in the mire of technical stuff I really don't want to learn. I just want a standard procedure that works every time. Please keep posting. I hope this is an appropriate topic for your forum. I have a little old Toyota RV with a small solar panel on top to keep my one 12 volt battery going but want to start a blog for my landscape painting and travels. Blessings. Riverrockjumper.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Video recording and editing

Post by techman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks for coming over to the forum. This is exactly why I want people over here. Your question is one that gets asked often. Now I can answer once and show it often.

I use a standard photo camera which also does video. I have a cheap casio from Radio Shack and also the flip camera. No matter, I have the camera set on a lower resolution anyway. Anything over 800 x 600 is useless because since I am off the grid and using a cell phone I size my videos to 640 x 480 to upload them. Anything larger would never be uploaded on my limited bandwidth.

I use the free built in Windows movie maker. My laptop has the Movie Maker Live but its pretty much the same thing.

It allows you to do basic video editing with simple transitions.

I also have Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum but dont use it because I dont have time to learn it.

Movie maker is very simple to use and fast to learn in minutes.

I keep all my original clips on my laptop hard drive and occasionally move them off to an external USB hard drive for long term storage. Its a bad idea to delete your raw material in case you ever want to use a clip again. Such as my planned DVD about The Off Grid Project.

Riverrockjumper

Post by Riverrockjumper » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Thank you so much for your timely reply! I really appreciate it. Hope it's not still raining up there. Blessings from Riverrockjumper.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Its the rainy season so it rains on and off here now until it snows. Wont see much sun anymore.

Happy to help.

gmowat

Post by gmowat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:28 am

Hi Troy,
Been watching your videos for the past couple of weeks and am really enjoying them. I hope to maybe have some advice for you as I have considerable experience in many of the things you're doing. Looking forward to the resumption of them when you get back from Australia.

I have one simple question. When the battery ran down on that new little camera you received, why didn't you think of charging it in the USB port on that box you keep above the RV batteries under the hood? In case you haven't seen them, they also make a 12V adaptor for a cigararette plug that has 1 or 2 USB charging ports on them. I use the heck out of these in my car for computer, phone, portable printer, and other items.

Also, in regards to the flexible floor at your doorway since you replaced the rotten boards, would it be possible for you to get a piece of 3/8" X 2" angle-iron cut to the right length and weld it into place between the frame rails? Without seeing it, I don't know if you have anything else in the way at that spot.

Thanks for the videos, and keep them going.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:45 am

Hi, sorry for not answering in so long. I had limited internet in Australia.

I did not use that USB port to charge the camera because it is only 500 mA and the camera needs a minimum of 1 Amp to charge.