Optimal Off Grid Living Site

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
Dave Thacker

Optimal Off Grid Living Site

Post by Dave Thacker » Tue May 21, 2013 8:24 am

Troy, obviously you'll be moving some day from this property. Hopefully to your own land where you can never be forced off (except by government if you fail to pay taxes).

Have you given some thought to the ideal state or region? I am an unapologetic lover of Liberty and I must confess places like NY are not high on my list of freedom loving places for various reasons. If there were a tax sale and you got to pick up a piece of property for a dime, where is the tempting location? There are many considerations, Liberty, water, solar, heating and cooling demands, family. It's really a complex question. One that might be a good theme a future Live Chat Show.

It's hard for me to imagine many places where you are truly free to do what you are doing. Certainly there must be some zoning restrictions even where you are impacting camping or occupying a site as a home. What challenges against your Liberty are potential threats where you are?
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

techman
Site Admin

Re: Optimal Off Grid Living Site

Post by techman » Thu May 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Well, first of all, there are no challenges where I am right now except that it is not my land. I am so far out here that even the post man doesnt really know where I am.

I do dream of owning land one day, hopefully soon. Maybe even next year. Sometimes I look around and dream a bit.

I look for low population densities for a place to live. And low property values. Usually the two go hand in hand. Even in upstate NY, the land is cheaper and you can find deals on ebay. But the biggest problem is moving away from family, friends, church, source of income.

So for now I watch for deals and dream.

I would love to just buy the place I am on but it is nearly impossible to split up the 90 acres these days. It is like they set you up for failure now so that gov can take it all away in one piece.

Dave Thacker

Post by Dave Thacker » Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 pm

It would be fun to look at the county's tax lien sales. Might be some surprises there.
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner

Dave Thacker

Post by Dave Thacker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:58 am

I'm listening to Live Chat Show 7 right now. You've covered a number of tyranny's of New York. Friend can't do anything on his property without local government nosing in. If you find some gold pebbles, they belong to the sate. Can't sell off land without putting in a taxable improvement asphalt lane. You are where you are, but buying property in NY where they are going to be constantly examining your every breath doesn't seem serious or consistent with an off grid and independent commitment. I hope when the time comes, it includes a migration away from tyranny.
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner

fulltimerdave

Post by fulltimerdave » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:10 am

hello all im getting ready to live off grid myself. im already set up with are camper that I been fixing up and im almost done. I have everything but solar power but working to get that done, I need to know of a place to move to out of the way in the sticks to park. Im now living in florida and like to stay here because I don't like the cold as I lived in PA since I was a kid. so im looking for any help in this matter thanks

phoneguy1212

Post by phoneguy1212 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Good thoughts Dave. I think maybe the foothills to the mountains in Tn. would be good weather wise anyway. Evan an acre out in the middle of nowhere will have restrictions to it. I bet if you look, Troy you are not supposed to be in an RV. You could build a small cabin,but not an RV for a home. You probably only have a P,O, box is why the mailman doesn't know where you are and it's not a legal place to rent to you or she would have to report the rent as income. Just some food for thought. I do like this topic Dave.

Jerry

P.S I'm not with the law or IRS or any other government entity. I have been looking into to off grid for a couple of years now and just sharing some of my findings.

Frozenoem

Post by Frozenoem » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:54 pm

At least in Maine where I live if the area is zoned for no RV's the way around it, is a shed built around the RV (Garage-like) or sometimes just a roof like you'd find at a state picnic area. 4 posts and a peaked roof for snow shed.

Troy, is right that the further out you are from overly populated (less than 500pop.) the easier are the prices and the more bang for your buck. Less government regulations unless you have leased land or are located on a lake or ocean, and have federal and state laws to deal with.

I've had to deal with them about cutting trees on my own land (10 acres) ocean front. (Federal and State). Outright cutting down on the water was a no-no but, trimming up was allowed.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 am

Another good thing about more rural locations. There is nobody here to give you any trouble.