Having a nice hot shower at the Off Grid Camper

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
techman
Site Admin

Re: Having a nice hot shower at the Off Grid Camper

Post by techman » Mon May 20, 2013 10:58 am

But what about wood heat combined with solar heat for hot water supply?

I think the black pcv laying around may have been for the pool heater. It is snaking back and forth like it was mean to be a heater and that is what it will be again for me.

I can use a wood stove to heat the water if the sun is not shining.

Dave Thacker

Post by Dave Thacker » Mon May 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Yes you can, however, you'll need a heat exchange and anti-freeze to make a year round system. It's a question of complexities and reliability. Think of all the issues you've had with the current water based heating system.

An RV heater with a rocket stove setup to vent through the internal heat ex-changer tube might be interesting to discuss. Then you could heat directly with twigs and what not when you lacked over flow solar energy. At least, an RV water heater is mostly inside the trailer. Anything you put outside will need anti freeze and a heat ex-changer.

Every time you make a change of energy there are losses and complexities. Rather than have many systems, energy could be put into optimizing a one or two systems to provide all needs.

Everything you spend trying to avoid buying another panel or more battery capacity that later you toss out is just like throwing away a good panel or a good battery. Think about it.
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

Triffidtraps

Post by Triffidtraps » Wed May 22, 2013 6:26 am

Using a hose pipe inside a compost heat works very well. You need quite a bit of compost to make a good sized deep pile. But even in winter when it's below freezing you can obtain warm water from this system. Your best having two piles & hoses so when one is being used. You can start a new pile for when the original pile starts to cool off.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu May 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Yes, Dave you are correct. There are losses when converting.

I am now only theorizing. The first thing I will do is set up a black painted water container in the direct sun to produce hot water for showers. Maybe make a wood pallet shower house with the water tank on top. For temperature control I can hook up a second tank of cooler water in the shade of the first in case the water is too hot right out of the hot water tank.

I have the metal tanks, pallet wood and a hand held shower hose from an old camper I gutted last year.

Actually the more I think about it, the better it sounds. I miss having my hot showers.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu May 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Triffidtraps wrote:Using a hose pipe inside a compost heat works very well. You need quite a bit of compost to make a good sized deep pile. But even in winter when it's below freezing you can obtain warm water from this system. Your best having two piles & hoses so when one is being used. You can start a new pile for when the original pile starts to cool off.

If I had my own land and a lot of compost, I would try that out for sure. Maybe one day. I do believe it may work because the temperatures in a compost pile get very hot. That is what helps to kill off any harmful pathogens.

Dave Thacker

Post by Dave Thacker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:26 pm

techman wrote:Hi guys,

I removed the old electric hot water heater. It was defective and you could never run it off solar. Pulls too many amps.

Troy, I just went through most of the physics of what it is possible, why it does not pull too many amps (if you use the correct parts) and how the energy needed to do it is energy your throwing in the trash right now. The only cost is parts, the only impossibility is in your mind.

I'm installing a new 6 gallon electronic ignition water heater in my 63 Airstream to day and over the next week. I'm ordering a new 475 watt heater for the drain plug. It's no problem. I hope by the time you get to checking out your water heaters in the new RV, you'll have wrapped your head around this year around solution.

I do like the black hose method. That would work in the spring,summer and fall well. Winter, not so much. It's a lot of hoops to jump through when you could be doing it simpler with wasted energy your already tossing out. The same days the black hose would work, the solar works and has excess energy. Plus the solar system can handle it on many more days that are not so sunny. As you build up your cloudy day reserve solar area, you're going to have more and more sunny day overrun that could be used.

I'm ordering my new electric probe today. yeaaaaaaa....

Here is the listing I purchased from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Shot-Lightn ... 3d&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

425 watt unit $69 shipped. Hmm-mm, that's less wattage than your solar array. I like to dry camp, so this unit will be well within my generators limits. I may add solar to the roof of the 63. I'll have to see. Would be great to have 200 watts up there.
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

phoneguy1212

Post by phoneguy1212 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Dave is right Troy. Hopefully the new RV water heater still works. You still must keep propane around for the fridge so what is the big deal about using it for hot water. Try to find as many as those little throw a way tanks and start refilling 'em your self using a full size tank upside down for using on your cook stove you found and maybe some personal heaters as well. I would try to do most of my cooking outside. Plus if you decide to go with the on demand heater you can use the small tank of propane and shower outside naked if you please. I think Dave is just trying to make things simpler and consistence for you. And one more thing. I too have observed a many of vids that showed your batteries in float mode which means wasted in my book. Floating before noon. Start turning shit on at night and really test out the storage of those batteries and quit baby stepping it. Have a normal life, not go back to the dark ages. Living off grid should be challenging, but never to the point of thoughts to get back on grid. You're a smart and mechanically inclined person who should be able to overcome any obstetrical and you're letting heating 6 gallons of water beat you. I just had a thought about your new shower. Don't worry about it draining to the grey tank, run it to the ground away from the camper. Sorry for picking on you. We all need it sometimes to get our heads thinking clearly. You are my Hero.

Jerry