Wood Stove Question

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
Anarchy

Wood Stove Question

Post by Anarchy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:24 pm

I am going to be buying a 32ft camper and eventually working up to a cabin and my main issue is heating. I seen that single walled smoke pipes are dangerous but I do not understand why. I do not have the money to afford double walled piping.

What I was thinking is buying a piece of plywood knocking out the window replacing it with the plywood, wrap the plywood in metal/aluminum sheeting then drill the stove pipe hole through the center. For heat shield I was going to use the cement board. Using this method I do not see how the pipe could conduct enough heat to cause a fire but I have zero experience with wood stoves and would like opinions on my idea.

Also the hole would be lined with aluminum sheeting as well so no wood would be exposed to the pipe.

Also the stove would mainly running in winter, for cooking during summer/spring and warm parts of fall I will be cooking with a fire pit or grill so the stove can stay off.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Wood Stove Question

Post by techman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:28 pm

I would STRONGLY suggest at least buying a proper through the wall kit for your stove pipe to safely pass through. With single pipe like I have you must have proper clearances on all sides of the pipe. This means heat shielding on the pipe or about 18 to 36 inches of clearance on all sides of the pipe.

Where the pipe goes through the wall, spend the money and do it right.

Wood will slowly dry out when it is heated often. This lowers the combustion temperature more and more with time. Eventually just being hot from the wood stove will ignite the wood.

It is dangerous.

Be careful.