finding land for offgrid + costs

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
grandads_shed

finding land for offgrid + costs

Post by grandads_shed » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:57 pm

troy m8 ,, as you know i watch all of your vids and look forward to them everyday,
they remind me of the days i used to live on a boat in the uk,, 18years i lived on the rivers with minimal money to spend so i can relate to most of what you do ,,

ok the questions ,, how did you find the plot of land ?? was it advertised or did you put in a advert for a bit of land ??

what sort of prices were you coming up with and for what size of plots ??

what were the main things that you have to look out for in your part of the world whilst looking for a plot of land ? :D

techman
Site Admin

Re: finding land for offgrid + costs

Post by techman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:30 am

I found this place by accident after Hurricane Irene. I lost my business due to flooding and then my home because I could not afford it. I was going to find a place to park my truck camper and live in that but needed a trailer to pack my belongings on.

I found a trailer on CL but it was junk. When I was at the property looking at the trailer, I saw this huge, beautiful land. I asked if I could pay to park my camper there but she had a room for rent in her house. I stayed and eventually moved into my camper on her second property and paid $200 per month rent. The rest is YT video history.

The best way to find land is just ask around. Many older people have land just sitting there unused. I also found people with land that they were willing to sell off cheaply. It was unused and costing them tax money every year.

What to look for is water, isolation (not many neighbors), price per acre and taxes. Plus if you ever want to build, go to the local township and ask for all the regulations and restrictions. These can be very limiting on what you are allowed to do with your own land. Frustrating. Just buying land does not mean you actually "own" it anymore.

grandads_shed

Post by grandads_shed » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:08 pm

thanks m8 ,, over here in the uk, if the authorities found out they would tell you you cant live there because its not a registered for living in and end up getting a court order against you to move you out ,,
to many laws over here, there is a law that can be used to stop you doing anything ,,
i got away with it on the boat because i had no address and kept moving on a regular basis.
must admit i miss those days, well most of them :)
i cant do everything that i used to do because i now have c,o,p,d of the lungs ,, but with a good income i can afford to live better than i used to

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:39 am

I am learning more every day that you do not "own" land anymore. Not when they can micro manage how and what you do with your land. And they can come onto your land and remove you physically if they want.

And don't get me started on property taxes and old people being removed from their land because they can't afford them anymore.