IS YOUR WATER FREEZING

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
tazmanddevil67

IS YOUR WATER FREEZING

Post by tazmanddevil67 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Troy just a thought, How about putting a Add on room to where the wood stove is and your bulk water tank will be heated. Also how about a heat exchanger on the wood stove. A bigger diameter pipe cut at the stove end so it will run horizontal, Slide down to where it is level with your window then install a metal 12 volt fan and a temp sensor. As the fan runs it will pull the air through the exchanger and around the current up right pipe so you have direct heated air coming in the window.

Frozenoem

WATER FREEZING fix ????

Post by Frozenoem » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Easiest method for a fix on water freezing might be fixable with an immersion heater/coil made for outdoor cattle (stock tank) watering stations, tractor supply or internet or farmers newspapers may have them available used.
For a first, the 12V,24V and 48Volt ones beat the AC versions and $100 isn't bad for a new price, neighbor picked one up thru local paper for $30 used when local dairy farmer decided to leave for warmer climes. Thermodyne has some of them I think(windmill#2).
Neighbor did need 6" Styrofoam surrounding above and below his tank and a thermostat added to make his heater with his tank similar to yours.

Only difference is he uses huge Trojan batteries for his solar.

techman
Site Admin

Re: IS YOUR WATER FREEZING

Post by techman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:08 pm

I may end up moving the water tank in spring to a new location. Maybe move it up closer to the solar porch as suggested.

The problem with off grid power usage is that I sometimes do not have any power to spare and this is usually on the coldest nights when I need it the most.

tazmanddevil67

Post by tazmanddevil67 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:28 am

To whom it may concern: Here in Illinois to keep water from freezing you can bury your tank 5 feet in the ground and it will not freeze or need any heat. As for troy I would pull your water tank close to your wood stove and in close it to keep it from freezing. To transfer water from the creek to a tank use one of the 12 volt water pumps you have in one of the campers and install some garden hoses to it and use alligator clips on your truck battery. Much easier than a bucket and a bath every time you need water. After you fill a tank in the back of the truck, You can fill the big tank with the 12 volt pump from the tank in the truck. Work Smarter not Harder I have always been taught. Just trying to free up some of your time for more important things. Peace Out.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:12 pm

I hope to buy the property and then I can bury the tank next year. If not then it will be next to or inside my wood stove shed.

I wanted to use the pump at the creek but I cannot get the truck close enough to the creek to have the pump and battery there. So I have to carry the garden hose, battery and pump to the creek and run 50 feet of hose to the truck. Its sometimes easier or faster to use less gear depending on the situation.