Chicken sexing

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
happyhippy

Chicken sexing

Post by happyhippy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Troy - I have been watching your videos on YouTube (on #93 of Part 3 so get filming!!) and saw that you were unsure of the sex of your white chicken.

This isn't fool proof but if you look at the neck feathers the general rule is: if they are round ended then its a hen, if they are more pointed then you probably have another lad on your hands!

I have 10 chickens in the garden and it works for all of them, a mix of pekin bantams, millie fleurs and a couple of big cream legbars. Not guaranteeing it with everyones chickens though!

My wife has another way of telling (guessing?). When all the chickens are together, the males seem to stand more upright compared to the girls. You can spot this better when they are chicks and she has a good success rate with that method as well.

Good luck for the future - thanks to your experiences I have now got a small solar panel, charge controller, batteries and led lights to play with, even if its only to light up the chicken house!!

techman
Site Admin

Re: Chicken sexing

Post by techman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Happy you enjoy the videos.

Thank you for the info. I have to get out and have a look at them in the morning then.