Troy's RV barrel stove - modification

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
silicon skum

Troy's RV barrel stove - modification

Post by silicon skum » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:49 am

Hey, Figured I'd post this here as the last video's comments have commentards making drama... :roll:

Anyhow, The problem with the stove ashes building up and the lack of air can be sorted in one quick mod.
first make a new hole in the base of the stove (see pics) near to the front. Next, slope the sand *gently* down towards the front, then cover with approx 1/2" - 1" of Fire Cement to form a hard cap (keeping the sand in place, and the sand / ash separated).

(Please excuse the crudity of this model as I didn't have time to build it to scale or paint it.) ;)

Right click + view image for full size (couldn't resize, used MS Paint for quickness)...

You will need to have some kind of easy to open / remove 'plug' or plate over the hole in the base. Two possible solutions are;
1) A flap plate on the external side, either spring loaded or secured by a locking mechanism (bolt, slide catch etc).
2) A simple cover over the hole on the inside, something along the lines of a cast iron pot / pan lid with an 'eye hook' on top. Can be simply moved out of the way with a long hooked tool.

Alternatively, a second flue damper fitted to the underside would work well, if you can source one.

This hole can also be used to supply additional air to the fire, solving that issue of leaving the door ajar. A few small holes in the cover should be enough to still allow you to control the burn via the front vent.

As the ashes build up, simply open the bottom cover and rake the ashes down from the back, into the hole. Use a large pot as an ash pan. The fire cement capping will make the job easier as it forms a hard smooth surface. An inverted hearth shovel or a simple metal 'T' shaped bar will mke a good ash scraper.

You may or may not need to raise up your grate by an inch or two for clearance (cant tell from your videos).

SS

techman
Site Admin

Re: Troy's RV barrel stove - modification

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Wow, you spent a lot of time and effort on this. Thank you very much.

I have been thinking about a fresh air intake for a while now due to all the suggestions. I am not very good with metal working so your idea may be a bit too complex for me to implement well. But I am getting some ideas from the whole article you wrote. I will see if I can work something out based on your ideas.

By the way, love your art work. Looks good

lincolnklee

Post by lincolnklee » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:35 pm

This is from another site mphgardner. He has already done alot of the for a greenhouse. has made some new adjustments but it's worth viewing for ideas. He is in the VA area and might be worth a get together to exchange info. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLorvR2WoMQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; hope it helps.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Wow now this guy has it hooked up!

He has a thermostat control to vary the air input to the stove. I love it. Eventually I want to have an outside air intake for the stove as well, but that will be after I get the stove shed sealed off totally. That will take me some time because I am using junk materials mis matched and tossed together. Going to be a while before its all sealed up.