Troy, chicken safety idea for you

campingPally

Troy, chicken safety idea for you

Post by campingPally » Fri May 08, 2015 4:38 am

Okay I keep thinking about your chicken safety issue and it's been driving me nuts so I used chicken logic. Human logic not working, raccoon logic not working, so chicken logic.

They like laying against the mesh. Can you take the average raccoon arm length, add 3-4 inches and put a 2nd set of mesh inside for the chickens to lay against? It doesn't have to be super sturdy, just enough for chicken butts. Then they're happy and the raccoon can't even reach them anymore.

I know I over think stuff a lot but this seems like a good idea to me. :?

techman
Site Admin

Re: Troy, chicken safety idea for you

Post by techman » Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 am

Thank you for the suggestion. Sorry for my late reply. Still transferring servers and its so much work.

Yes that would work but takes a bit of the living space from the chickens. For now the electric fence did the trick. But I plan to put up a piece of wood across there to block access from the raccoons when I eventually move the chicken tractor out of the front of the meadow.

wazzyl

Post by wazzyl » Sat May 23, 2015 3:31 am

maybe you need to make a bigger chicken coop something like this for example, but then with free woood stuff like that:
and using thick wires so the raccoon cant demolish it, so your chicks are saved :) it will cost much, but you know how to make it cheap, i know that!

it's just a idea, to show you what you can build and then it will be raccoon proof for sure.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed May 27, 2015 8:56 am

Wow, that is quite impressive and beautiful actually. I could live in that. lol

I will still put chicken wire around the entire meadow so protect myself from ticks. I will also build a barn wood chicken coop and hope I can make it half as pretty and nice looking as the one you showed me :)