Tiny Home discussions Go Here

techman
Site Admin

Tiny Home discussions Go Here

Post by techman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:47 am

Hi everyone. Since my tiny house on wheels is a growing subject I have opened up the Tiny House Talk forum. Please send me your ideas for building a tiny house here. You can also share your experiences and photos if you have built a tiny home yourself.

Construction tips and techniques are also welcome here. Remember though when building a tiny house on wheels it does not get built like a normal house. A tiny home is subject to stresses from moving and traveling down the road and must remain light weight and flexible.

One main point in tiny home construction is to use screws instead of nails. Yes nails have a higher sheer strength but screws will not back out as easily when traveling down the road. I based this on a lot of study of other tiny home builders.

The_Amateur

Re: Tiny Home discussions Go Here

Post by The_Amateur » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 pm

You might want to put this higher up on the forum so people can see that this exists.

Trolleycar

Post by Trolleycar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi Troy
You have spoken about using a picked roof on your Tiny Home Loft.
The picked roof will leave you with very room in the loft with the picked roof.
where is you use a gambrel or "barn" style roof You would have a greater amount of usable space
Here is a URL that tell a lot about the gambrel or "barn" style roof http://www.easyrafters.com/gambrel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you use the gambrel or "barn" style roof And need a hand building the roof I would be happily to help you as I have built many gambrel or "barn" style roof. think it over as I think you will be muck happier with greater space in the loft.
Attachments
gambrelpreview.gif
gambrelpreview.gif (2.11 KiB) Viewed 29646 times

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 am

Thank you for taking the time to show this. It will probably help others who visit here as well. As for me though I am using what is called a "shed roof". A single slope. This is cheaper and easier for me to build.

scottie26

Post by scottie26 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:36 am

Hi Troy,
I have been watching your you tube videos now for a while, and am LOVING them! But i really need to give my 5 cents to one of your current dilemmas. The stove pipe.... in todays video you were going through the pro's and con's. I would suggest that you go ahead and keep the pipe inside. simply think about how often you will benefit from the additional heat in the cottage (daily) and how often you will actually have to clean it (twice yearly?).
We live in Germany, where the chimneysweep is legally (yea, it's Germany - very regulated) required to come by yearly to clean your chimney. So i am assuming that twice a year would be more than enough if you are using the stove as your sole heatsource. My husband has a vacuum cleaner that he uses in his workshop, which can collect soot aswell. i use this to clean up our stove (boiler stove, main heatsource apart from solar panels) and its great! (also a easy way to collect sawdust for your composting toilet).
Also, look at all the log cabins in Scandinavia. they all have the stove pipes inside their houses, and they know the cold!
Keep going strong, and ignore those Trolls!
Scottie26

Jeweltgirl

Post by Jeweltgirl » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:42 am

Hello Troy,

Watch your youtube all the time. Just a few thoughts. I see you are adding more and more weight to the house. This trailer is only rated for so much weight and I am thinking you are getting close to the weight load?

Are you going to add your solar panels to the roof or leave them in the field? Moving them to the roof would give more fields for food.

Are you going to polyurethane the walls in the living room?

Sorry if you have answered this in a video and I missed it.

I cant help it, LOVE the chickens. Do you have a chicken thread.. LOL. This winter I hope you get pellets along with the corn to feed them.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:01 pm

scottie26 wrote:Hi Troy,
I have been watching your you tube videos now for a while, and am LOVING them! But i really need to give my 5 cents to one of your current dilemmas. The stove pipe.... in todays video you were going through the pro's and con's. I would suggest that you go ahead and keep the pipe inside. simply think about how often you will benefit from the additional heat in the cottage (daily) and how often you will actually have to clean it (twice yearly?).
We live in Germany, where the chimneysweep is legally (yea, it's Germany - very regulated) required to come by yearly to clean your chimney. So i am assuming that twice a year would be more than enough if you are using the stove as your sole heatsource. My husband has a vacuum cleaner that he uses in his workshop, which can collect soot aswell. i use this to clean up our stove (boiler stove, main heatsource apart from solar panels) and its great! (also a easy way to collect sawdust for your composting toilet).
Also, look at all the log cabins in Scandinavia. they all have the stove pipes inside their houses, and they know the cold!
Keep going strong, and ignore those Trolls!

Thank you for the support and suggestion. I actually went through the roof as you have most likely seen by now.
Scottie26

ctnhonda

Post by ctnhonda » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Hey Troy,
Great Job on the Cottage !!!!!
My suggestion at the moment is regarding your wood stove.

When you are done sealing the cottage,, your burning wood will have no air to 'Draw' up the flue,
trust me on this one. I went around my own home and sealed all windows, doors, basement, and attic, and I was proud of myself. I lowered my summer power bill by 50$ a month, the catch,,,, First fire in the fall the house filled with smoke. thought maybe a bird nest or something in the flue, Nope as soon as I opened a window to let this smoke out,,, Woosh the fire kicked up and started the go up the chimney. I cut a hole under the fire box and directed it around to the front and camouflaged it and presto,,,,, no more house full of smoke.

and #2 I noticed when you were cutting fire wood you got distracted/stirred by the huge pile of work, moving from one side to the next following your line of site,, my only suggestion, would be to start one one side and work your way across the pile, or decide what size wood pieces to work on and work on that till its done,,, pick brush, work on brush till it done. pick splitting size pieces work on them till they are all stacked up next to the splitter. You got they Idea,,,,,, And please remember these are only my humble thought. And I know you have many suggestion, and in the end you will do what you feel is best for you
Keep up the Hard Work..........
Best Wishes
Chris

DestructionDan

Post by DestructionDan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:00 am

I been watching your videos for a few weeks.
I have a couple questions and comments.
First protect those wires at all costs. If it can go wrong it will.
I'm sure you plan to build a battery storage box, but make it a little larger.
Store your outside tools in there. And make sure it has venting.
It can also triple as a escape so you don't have a long drop if you ever needed to get out fast.

My question is what size is your tiny house?
Width Length and wall height front and back?

Of all the tiny houses I have looked at over the years this one I like the most.
I hope to build my tiny house in the next couple of years. Still have 1 kid in school.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:45 pm

My home is 10 feet wide by 24 feet long.

It is 12 feet high, not counting the trailer

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be doing most of what you said :)