Food Preps

liltwinkie

Food Preps

Post by liltwinkie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:25 am

When getting started with food preps you need to remember stock up on what you like to eat! Buying and storing food you don't like or have never eaten is simply a waste of time, money, and storage space. If you're really serious about prepping learn to can and dehydrate..... it's much easier than you think and more economic after the original cost of purchasing the equipment.... remember, once you've purchased your equipment you will use it over and over again!

Man cannot live on bread alone, but believe me a large supply of flours, grains,rice, pastas and "cookable" cereals can sure make ya a happy camper when yer hungry. Personally I freeze all of these items when I buy them for a week (I hate weevels!) and then store them in airtight containers with sticks of spearment gum interspersed through out the container. I've never had any critters using this method. The same goes with my dehydrated veges.I shop all the sales and buy canned veges, fruit and such in large amounts. Dollar stores are great places pick up soups, stews, sauces, can goods, etc. Don't forget herbs and spices and various seasonings... they can turn a very bland dish into something special.

Don't forget baking needs, Yeast granules, baking powder, baking soda and sour dough starter is very easy to get started. If you plan on baking you need these things! Man may not live on bread alone, but I sure like eating it! Not to mention biscuits, pancakes, cakes cookies, etc. These are "Comfort" foods to me, I grew up on them. Sweeteners, like sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, etc ... you need something sugary to activate your yeast and to bake with.

And make sure you have some sort of protein in your food storage....... your body needs a balanced diet.... proteins, simple carbohydrates and complex carbohydrates.... you also need Vit-C in your diet to stay healthy and avoid scurvy.... Canned tomatoes, tomato juice, canned citrus fruit juices, pickled foods... these are all very important to help keep you healthy. A supply of daily vitamins and minerals helps as well. Condiments such as catsup, mustard, mayo, worchestershire and soy sauce, vinegar, pickles, etc. can make life bareable when times are tough. I'm not a big fan of store bought meats and such, but now a days there is such a large variety of meats, soups, stews and sea foods that a person can make some tasty meals with them. You also need some sort of fats in your diet... oils, shortening, lard, etc..... Your body needs the calories they provide, especially when your cold, starving or under heavy stress. I don't mean to sound like a nutritionalist, or professional but even the pioneers knew they needed a variety of foods to stay healthy.

Please forgive any of my spelling errors... I'm a survivalist not an English major. I hope this post is helpful to other here on the forum.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Food Preps

Post by techman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:24 am

Thank you very much. This is important information that most people do not really consider when putting away food for survival. Some people just read some generic list and buy stuff in bulk that they would never normally eat. I was guilty of this in the past and lost some canned foods due to spoilage. Well, we live and learn. Hopefully most people learn before its too late.