How much food is enough to have stocked away?

preppernurse1

How much food is enough to have stocked away?

Post by preppernurse1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:47 pm

How much is enough when it comes to food? Hear is what I think. You need at least 1 years worth of food ready for what ever is coming. From canned goods to rice and pasta if stored right they will not go bad canned goods are only good for so long. Honey is another thing that does not go bad. You need mres they last 7 to 10 years if stored right. Have enough for you and your family or group and then have extra for barter. canning your own foods is a great idea as well learn how to now its better to learn before you are doing it to survive. I years worth of food will get you threw a growing season so you can get threw the winter. Having spices and sugar brown and white is good as well along with iodized salt. Let me know what you guys think.

SurplusSupply

Re: How much food is enough to have stocked away?

Post by SurplusSupply » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:17 pm

We buy the MRE's (meal, ready to eat) by the case of 12 each. They are made by a few different companies. Some are military and others commercially made to military standards. They do last 7 to 10 years. I have seen meals with some ruined items, but not often. These are usually the more delicate items anyway (dairy shake, dessert, what have you.) The main entrees are usually just fine. You have to check the date and it helps to store them in a cool, dry place. The case is typically marked with an inspection date or a sticker that indicates freshness. They are usually $40-$65 a case, so this route can get expensive for the beginning prepper. I have purchased them as low as $30 a case. Check out Troy's article on DIY vacuum saver MRE's. :D

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:27 pm

I have seen MRE's sold by the pallet, but I don't think this reflects a common price that the average person would have access to. I was attempting to establish a "street" price.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:24 pm

SurplusSupply wrote:We buy the MRE's (meal, ready to eat) by the case of 12 each. They are made by a few different companies. Some are military and others commercially made to military standards. They do last 7 to 10 years. I have seen meals with some ruined items, but not often. These are usually the more delicate items anyway (dairy shake, dessert, what have you.) The main entrees are usually just fine. You have to check the date and it helps to store them in a cool, dry place. The case is typically marked with an inspection date or a sticker that indicates freshness. They are usually $40-$65 a case, so this route can get expensive for the beginning prepper. I have purchased them as low as $30 a case. Check out Troy's article on DIY vacuum saver MRE's. :D
That is some very good points. thank you.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Not sure who has seen my video reviews but these guys offer a month worth of food for $64.95 if you join the monthly club. I am going to sign up soon. Every month you get a package in the mail with a 25 year shelf life.

http://lindonfarms.com/pages/monthly-food-storage

I have tried this food out and its pretty good. Comes in a plastic container and all you do is add hot water and eat.

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:11 pm

We have "Dollar Tree" dollar stores in my area. They sell a surprisingly tasty shelf stable milk from "Gossner Foods" and there is another brand as well I think. It lasts a ridiculously long time, and it's a dollar bill. This is not a freeze dried or nasty powdered milk thing. Check it out if you have Dollar Tree in your area. Just go in there anyway. You can't beat it. They have great prices on assorted mixed nuts, trail mix, granola, jerky many, many useful items guys. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here.)
Attachments
16101.jpg
16101.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 24577 times

Jeweltgirl

Post by Jeweltgirl » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:32 am

Hello,

I think it all depends on why you stock food. (natural distasters, man made distasters, loss of income, etc)

Most natural distasters they say at least a 3 month supply. (Food and water)

In the end it all depends on what you can afford and what you think is right for you.

*preppernurse1- Nice thread. Having food stored is great, but you must know how to use it. If you store flour, and want to make bread but never have. This could be costly, wasting flour or just finding out that you have no yeast to use with the flour.

You can also vac seal your foods in bags or jars.

Canning is a great thing too. Water bathing and pressure canning. Nice to learn.

Also stock or store seeds for growing. Just having one packet of peppers is not enough. Have a few as some may not germinate.

Its always good to have a back up plan for winter, and winter is comming. :(

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:48 am

SurplusSupply wrote:We have "Dollar Tree" dollar stores in my area. They sell a surprisingly tasty shelf stable milk from "Gossner Foods" and there is another brand as well I think. It lasts a ridiculously long time, and it's a dollar bill. This is not a freeze dried or nasty powdered milk thing. Check it out if you have Dollar Tree in your area. Just go in there anyway. You can't beat it. They have great prices on assorted mixed nuts, trail mix, granola, jerky many, many useful items guys. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here.)

Funny I never thought about stocking this milk. Always look for deals on powdered milk. I have often used the milk in the past. Thanks for the idea. I will have to check the shelf life. It will probably actually last longer than the listed date anyway if stored properly.