Is it better to go it alone or in a group?

preppernurse1

Is it better to go it alone or in a group?

Post by preppernurse1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:47 pm

For me I think its better to work with a group of people you know you can count on in a SHTF scenario. And getting to know and trust them ahead of time is very important. You need to click with your group. No one can stay up 24 hrs a day and do all the things we need to do. You need someone to keep watch and plant crops and build the things you need. Having a group of people who know how to do different things will help every one. I think when things go bad you will end up with people you never thought would be in your group because they bring something to the table a skill or supplies that you need. Their is safety in numbers. But if you start out with a good core group of people you are better off. And we are social beings we need to be around other people.

SurplusSupply

Re: Is it better to go it alone or in a group?

Post by SurplusSupply » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:19 am

There is a good reason why police have partners and soldiers have battle buddies, squads, etc. Communication is key for success.

bones

Post by bones » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:19 am

I think groups r better but small groups cuz to many to hard to keep food shelter for large groups but have ppl to help make life easier and take some of the stress of one person doing everything

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:13 pm

SurplusSupply wrote:There is a good reason why police have partners and soldiers have battle buddies, squads, etc. Communication is key for success.
Great points thanks for sharing.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:15 pm

bones wrote:I think groups r better but small groups cuz to many to hard to keep food shelter for large groups but have ppl to help make life easier and take some of the stress of one person doing everything
As time goes on smaller groups will join bigger groups in order to survive.

happyhippy

Post by happyhippy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:32 am

Agree that groups are the way to go and, as has been mentioned, small manageable groups would be the best. Looking at no more than 10 tops. With that amount of people you should get a good spread of skills and ability to help keep things ticking over all day every day.

The important thing to do, I think, from the start is for the group to agree a 'leading member', or even two or three people - that way decisions are made throughout the group and not by a single person. Imagine in a group of 9 people think the decision of the 1 is wrong, things could go pear shaped quite quickly. The leading members are not looked at as the bosses, just the 'guides' and should have a range of skills that will help the group.

Maybe I am thinking too deep now - one problem is in the UK there are not as many preppers as I see in the US. Guess you can look at that from both a good and bad way but getting a competent group together would be a little tougher I guess.

HH

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:19 pm

happyhippy wrote:Agree that groups are the way to go and, as has been mentioned, small manageable groups would be the best. Looking at no more than 10 tops. With that amount of people you should get a good spread of skills and ability to help keep things ticking over all day every day.

The important thing to do, I think, from the start is for the group to agree a 'leading member', or even two or three people - that way decisions are made throughout the group and not by a single person. Imagine in a group of 9 people think the decision of the 1 is wrong, things could go pear shaped quite quickly. The leading members are not looked at as the bosses, just the 'guides' and should have a range of skills that will help the group.

Maybe I am thinking too deep now - one problem is in the UK there are not as many preppers as I see in the US. Guess you can look at that from both a good and bad way but getting a competent group together would be a little tougher I guess.

HH
In my group we have a core of people who started 5 of us we decide as a group what's best as far as prepping goes. I think 10 is to small a number and I will tell you why lets as in my group we have 5 core people now we need to add husbands and wifes kids and other family members. I have 2 kids my mom my sister and her husband my niece and her boyfriend and she has 3 boys so as you see the numbers go up fast. When I think of a small group I think at least 30 if not more you will have people join your group that you never thout would as long as they bring something to the table.

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:23 pm

I don't think that a group of preppers necessarily has to form itself with all the order of a military unit. It may be more appropriate or advantageous to create a loose association of friends. Still...some chain of command will form. It just depends on the situation at hand.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:27 pm

SurplusSupply wrote:I don't think that a group of preppers necessarily has to form itself with all the order of a military unit. It may be more appropriate or advantageous to create a loose association of friends. Still...some chain of command will form. It just depends on the situation at hand.
Well for me I am ex-military and you need to have a chain of command or you will never get anything done.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:03 pm

You definitely need to have a leader in a survival situation. Actually every group of people throughout time has had a leader of sorts. Even "uncivilized" groups in the jungles have a leader. It is necessary.

As to military, yes I think you must be prepared because any group of people who do not protect themselves get run over. Now in this time and in a survival situation. That is why a pacifist community will never exist really. It just cannot survive long on its own without some sort of protection.

Groups will grow and form into larger groups. Groups may join up together and form unions. If time allows