Why should you prep.

preppernurse1

Re: Why should you prep.

Post by preppernurse1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:36 pm

bones wrote:ive been prepping since i was a kid learning and still learning thats how i came across troy i have 3 kids my middle daughter is the one who wants to learn me and her go over things im teaching her what i know and we learn new things an exsparement to see what works for us im not an extreme preper i dont got the money to have bunkers but my saying to my kids and there friends that tag along its not to survive its to live and ido my best i went camping this weekend used my off grid camper for the first time trail run was some things we learned and tryed i feel its in portant to teach ur kids and there friends how to in case of emergency u can relay on them to know what to do i know i could leave the fort and trust her to take care and know what needs done future is not surtan i tell them that often
Its always a good feeling when our kids can learn from us and knowing that if something happens to us that they will be ok.And its always good to do test runs just to see how you all do.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Firechief301 wrote:If you think about it most people are already preppers without even realizing it. I tell everyone I talk to its the simple things that you need to start with. If you own a family dog then you have a security prep without even realizing it. If you can feed your family from your pantry for 3 days without visiting the store then you have the start of food preps. You can simply add an additional day each week with a few extra cans or boxes of food that you simply don't plan to eat right away. The number one prep in my opinion is education! Although you may not have tons of water stored up just simply know where to find it when needed such and streams, river, lakes or even your back ditch can get you ahead but you must know what to do to make it safe and if you can boil water your there. I prep because I love my family and I want as many days on this earth as I can have with them. Knowledge is not only power but it will make the difference between life and death. I can promise you that that first thing in an emergency we will loose is access to this massive data base called the internet. I hear tons of people talking about power to charge devices well folks if the grid is down the cell towers soon will be there back up generators wont last forever. Remember you can't store everything in your head, learn the basics but save the rest as permanent files on your devices so you wont have to count on anything but you and your prepping network...
I did a video on that subject having plenty of books that you can learn from or use as a reference is very important. knowledge is power but having the books so others can learn from is worth so much more.

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:08 am

preppernurse1 wrote:I did a video on that subject having plenty of books that you can learn from or use as a reference is very important. knowledge is power but having the books so others can learn from is worth so much more.
Wow! I really love this comment. I think I must have a small library at this point, but there are a great many skills that are difficult or nearly impossible to learn from a book only.

Trolleycar

Post by Trolleycar » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:59 am

Why did I become a prepper? Well I have been a prepper before being a prepper was cool.
For me I started prepping when it was called being prepared. And I started when I was a 13 years old and a Boy Scout. The Boy Scout motto Is BE Prepared!!
But as things in the country have gone down Hill in the last six years I have gotten more involved the being prepared. I have been stock piling food ,a little at a time. I have a generator so I have power for a short time power outage. I have started a veggie garden. the next thine on my list is to set you a solar power setup and wire the house for low voltage lights I have changed one Light in each room over from CFL's to LED's And as money is available I will change over to 100% LED'S.
And I hope to be able to get totally off the Grid. I am looking for other folks in the area to network with to learn and help others when they need a hand.

UrbanRecon

Post by UrbanRecon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Well, I was a Boy Scout and our motto was "always be prepared". As an adult with a family, I got a real eye opener a few years ago as to what I really need to be prepared for. I live In dutchess county, NY. A few years back we got hit with a bad snow storm that knocked power out in the area for a little more than three days. In that time, I saw how people were getting. You could feel the tension at the few gas stations that had power as people watched how much gas you took. No one could get water from the supermarkets, etc..
At the time, my mom was fighting cancer and had no heat. I had to get a generator to get space heaters and her septic pumps going. I found out there was a shipment of generators going to a Home Depot 40 miles away. I got there and put my name on the list. There were 25 generators for what became 80 people looking for them. Luckily, I was number 14 on the list. We waited over 2 1/2 hours for the shipment. Once again, you could feel the tension as you were with people who hadn't washed for three days, had no hot water and felt helpless. When the generators showed up, the list I was on become worthless as people were cutting the line out of order to get their generators and pay for them. I was able to get one (I walked right to the receiving area and took it off the truck myself). I was nervous by the amount of stares I was getting from people as I walked by them with my cart. Some were obviously upset and/or angry. We made it through, but that was only THREE days. I realized how bad it could get after hurricane sandy hit our area as I saw the supermarkets in the city wiped out, fist fights at the gas stations, and the movement of people out of the NYC area. That's when I decided to be prepared ahead of the next event and be able to ride out the event with my family, safely.
Sorry for being long winded, but these are the more recent events that really changed how I look at things. I may not be ready for every scenario, but I am working on it. Most importantly, my thoughts are in the right mindset.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 pm

SurplusSupply wrote:
preppernurse1 wrote:I did a video on that subject having plenty of books that you can learn from or use as a reference is very important. knowledge is power but having the books so others can learn from is worth so much more.
Wow! I really love this comment. I think I must have a small library at this point, but there are a great many skills that are difficult or nearly impossible to learn from a book only.
Its true some skills you can not learn from a book. But having them as a reference is also important.Thats why having people with different skills in your group is a top priority.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Trolleycar wrote:Why did I become a prepper? Well I have been a prepper before being a prepper was cool.
For me I started prepping when it was called being prepared. And I started when I was a 13 years old and a Boy Scout. The Boy Scout motto Is BE Prepared!!
But as things in the country have gone down Hill in the last six years I have gotten more involved the being prepared. I have been stock piling food ,a little at a time. I have a generator so I have power for a short time power outage. I have started a veggie garden. the next thine on my list is to set you a solar power setup and wire the house for low voltage lights I have changed one Light in each room over from CFL's to LED's And as money is available I will change over to 100% LED'S.
And I hope to be able to get totally off the Grid. I am looking for other folks in the area to network with to learn and help others when they need a hand.
That's great to hear you are on the right track for sure. Networking with others is the key to long term survival.

happyhippy

Post by happyhippy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:45 am

I think I class myself as a semi-prepper. In the last few years, I have realised a lot (remember I am in the UK): the government cares nothing for the public and due to this we have a lot more different 'dangers' to you guys in the US. Whereas you have earthquakes and tornados, we have the risk of rioting and flooding (both connected to lack of government involvement!).

Due to this I have slowly started getting into things, I have a small collection of knives and tools, we are learning to start fires using a flint, cotton wool and vaseline (my daughter loves this and I have a video of her doing it for the first time, the smile across her face when she lights the fire is brilliant!), we have been growing our own veg for a few years, we have chickens in the garden and we collect rainwater.

I have a small 20W solar panel and a 12v 7.2Ah battery to play with, getting used to what I can do with battery and solar - small steps are helping me, well us, to understand what we can do, what our limits are and where we need to head and learn more about.

My wife hit the nail on the head whilst we were chatting a few days ago - the government know that one day they will lose the grip they have and this has been shown in a bizarre way, perhaps in a way that not everyone will catch. She is a sly old fox and spotted. Over the last few years we have had a couple of TV shows hitting our screens - one called Survivors from the UK and of course Walking Dead from the US. The Survivors one showed a small group of people trying to survive after the SHTF, finding somewhere to live, always moving, finding / growing food etc and I guess you guys watch The Walking Dead and they did the same - find somewhere safe, growing food/

These shows are entertaining yes, but they are also planting the seed in the unconscious mind of the viewer for the future - perhaps we are wrong and reading too much into it, but the shows started when the finiacial crisis hit the UK in a big way and a lot of people I know are now looking into keeping chickens, growing veg and being ready!

So glad Troy started this preppers network - just a shame that the majority of people will be US, us UK guys just can't hop across for a BBQ, a beer and a chat with like minded people :)

HH

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:37 pm

@happyhippy This is true. One possible good resource U.K. folks do have is the "Bushcraft" and camping community. I would start there.

happyhippy

Post by happyhippy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:04 am

SurplusSupply wrote:@happyhippy This is true. One possible good resource U.K. folks do have is the "Bushcraft" and camping community. I would start there.
Definitely a good place to start, thanks for the pointer - see what I can go find.

HH