Why should you prep.

Cheekysaver

Re: Why should you prep.

Post by Cheekysaver » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:11 pm

There are so many reasons people prep. Prepping is simply being ready for things that are out of your control. In day to day life a great reason to prepare has nothing to do with massive power outages, earthquakes, floods and volcanoes ect. Stuff happens. People get sick, cars break down, extremely cold winters you might not be able to get out, deaths happen, companies do cutbacks. Having things set aside means you are ready for many things. Most of the reason people dig into their preps has to do with normal everyday life struggles, and that is what they are for. When it comes to getting help and aid from the government when life stuff does hit the fan they don't consider your groceries or stockpiles or food storage (whatever you call it) to be a financial asset. In my case I won the genetic lottery and I have a genetic condition that prevents me from working. It is a great myth that you need extra money to prep. If I can do it on a disability income using coupons in Canada, then pretty much anybody can do it. My stockpile is not considered a asset... what it does it ensure I can not go buy groceries and adapt how I cook groceries to reduce things like my electric bill and grocery costs to cover bills that could come out of mid air. What this does is gives me real financial security that I did not have before. In fact it does something even better, I get to help friends and family and the food bank while spending way less on groceries. There is no excuse not to be setting things aside, short of living a stuff hit the fan moment or already having your food storage secured.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:49 pm

ThePrepper Nana wrote:I just simply have a gut feeling something is going to happen, not sure what but know we had better be ready for it.
We are what most of you would call poor, so I just pray we have enough time to get things stocked up.
I've been watching YT and trying to learn all kinds of survival stuff from weapons, building huts, to canning and Dehydrating.
Just need to find the money to get the stuff.lol
I also have that gut feeling. And I hope we all have enough time to get ready. Good luck and just work at it a little at a time and you will get their.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:54 pm

schultzdk1972 wrote:The first question for anyone new or old might be....where to start or review my situation. What should the priority be? For me that question was another question. What is most likely to affect me? Living in Kansas City Kansas my order goes something like this: Tornado, Blizzard/ice storm, Flood, Fire, economic/civil unrest. All of these can cause loss of power and the inability to get essentials (food, water, heat, AC, etc...). With this in mind I started a bit at a time working the first (and in my situation) most likely scenario. My family and friends were less inclined to call me strange since I started with something they were familiar with and aware of. I was able to point out "GOV/FEMA" or local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) recommendations so they felt like I was following some sort of guidelines. This helped to get them looking into it as well. Most of us, preppers or not, don't think GOV plans work out very well but it is familiar to them and helped get them thinking and greased the wheels a bit. Just my two cents so far.

Thank you
Daniel
Thanks Daniel I agree we need to plan based on where we live. And what most likely is going to affect us.It sounds like you have handeled it in a very smart way.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:56 pm

SurplusSupply wrote:Happy to be here. I would love to link up with folks and share info. Thanks.
Where are you located? and if anyone is close to your location get together and talk.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:00 pm

SurplusSupply wrote:I think that prepping means being a responsible and concerned citizen that your friends, family, neighbors, and community will come to rely upon in both times of plenty and in times of unrest, uncertainty, and doubt. Personally, I think it should have nothing to do with sitting in a bunker waiting for collapse, and all to do with ensuring and maintaining the rule of law and our daily way of life. JMHO.
I wish it could be that way but in realty people are greedy for the most part. Sitting in a bunker is not the answer We need to help each other but we also need to draw a line of how much help we give. Somthing to think about that's for sure.

bones

Post by bones » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:33 pm

ive been prepping since i was a kid learning and still learning thats how i came across troy i have 3 kids my middle daughter is the one who wants to learn me and her go over things im teaching her what i know and we learn new things an exsparement to see what works for us im not an extreme preper i dont got the money to have bunkers but my saying to my kids and there friends that tag along its not to survive its to live and ido my best i went camping this weekend used my off grid camper for the first time trail run was some things we learned and tryed i feel its in portant to teach ur kids and there friends how to in case of emergency u can relay on them to know what to do i know i could leave the fort and trust her to take care and know what needs done future is not surtan i tell them that often

Firechief301

Post by Firechief301 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:50 am

If you think about it most people are already preppers without even realizing it. I tell everyone I talk to its the simple things that you need to start with. If you own a family dog then you have a security prep without even realizing it. If you can feed your family from your pantry for 3 days without visiting the store then you have the start of food preps. You can simply add an additional day each week with a few extra cans or boxes of food that you simply don't plan to eat right away. The number one prep in my opinion is education! Although you may not have tons of water stored up just simply know where to find it when needed such and streams, river, lakes or even your back ditch can get you ahead but you must know what to do to make it safe and if you can boil water your there. I prep because I love my family and I want as many days on this earth as I can have with them. Knowledge is not only power but it will make the difference between life and death. I can promise you that that first thing in an emergency we will loose is access to this massive data base called the internet. I hear tons of people talking about power to charge devices well folks if the grid is down the cell towers soon will be there back up generators wont last forever. Remember you can't store everything in your head, learn the basics but save the rest as permanent files on your devices so you wont have to count on anything but you and your prepping network...

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:01 pm

preppernurse1 wrote:
SurplusSupply wrote:Happy to be here. I would love to link up with folks and share info. Thanks.
Where are you located? and if anyone is close to your location get together and talk.
I already have a small network, but I would love to expand on that. (Ex. link up with Troy, Man of Many Things, Buggin In, etc.) If you want to get more specific than that, you would have to PM me. TY.
Last edited by SurplusSupply on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Cheekysaver wrote:There are so many reasons people prep. Prepping is simply being ready for things that are out of your control. In day to day life a great reason to prepare has nothing to do with massive power outages, earthquakes, floods and volcanoes ect. Stuff happens. People get sick, cars break down, extremely cold winters you might not be able to get out, deaths happen, companies do cutbacks. Having things set aside means you are ready for many things. Most of the reason people dig into their preps has to do with normal everyday life struggles, and that is what they are for. When it comes to getting help and aid from the government when life stuff does hit the fan they don't consider your groceries or stockpiles or food storage (whatever you call it) to be a financial asset. In my case I won the genetic lottery and I have a genetic condition that prevents me from working. It is a great myth that you need extra money to prep. If I can do it on a disability income using coupons in Canada, then pretty much anybody can do it. My stockpile is not considered a asset... what it does it ensure I can not go buy groceries and adapt how I cook groceries to reduce things like my electric bill and grocery costs to cover bills that could come out of mid air. What this does is gives me real financial security that I did not have before. In fact it does something even better, I get to help friends and family and the food bank while spending way less on groceries. There is no excuse not to be setting things aside, short of living a stuff hit the fan moment or already having your food storage secured.
Those are some great points I can think of many times when I have had to dip into my prepps to help others or myself when money was tight.

preppernurse1

Post by preppernurse1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:31 pm

If you want drop me an e-mail at preppernurse1@yahoo.com so we can talk more.