Employment for Off-gridders

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
staticlava

Employment for Off-gridders

Post by staticlava » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:34 pm

I'm new to actually conversing in the forum but I have, what I feel, is a really good topic. The subject of employment has come up often in Troy's videos but the "3 Years Off The Grid Summery, Thoughts and Warnings" video inspired me to ask all of you this. What kinds of employment do you think would be good for people living off grid? We can see that Troy makes his from Youtube, merchandise sales and wheel and deal with various people he meets. Please share any ideas, whether from experience or just a hunch, about what kind of work people can do to make a living.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Employment for Off-gridders

Post by techman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:26 am

The best thing you can do is to make money from your own land somehow.

I plan to sell maple syrup for example. Grow vegetables for sale at the local market. Plus eggs and raising chickens for sale.

I plan to weave baskets from local materials. And pallet wood products.

Of course there are also many other jobs like welding, small engine repair. Any skills you have, use them.

wendyp1000

Post by wendyp1000 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:59 pm

If you already teach college level, as I do, you can work towards teaching online. Just contact the virtual college department of your college or university and start schmoozing the right people. They will probably require a bachelors and masters degrees.

The caveat is having a really good internet connection.

I don't know if I could ever live 'tiny', but to live off the grid may someday be possible...

Teaching online is one way to make extra money ...

Cheers,

Ryan Romero

Post by Ryan Romero » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:11 pm

Your talents : Create something that has a Royalty : A INFORMATIONAL book is the easiest to write if your well versed in a topic you know a lot about. ***Amazon Publishes it for free*** I only wrote one book based on solar as I know about this topic. My wife gets spools for free if you find them and she turns them into tables. But she does have to buy the stain, however I just found out you can keep your OLD CAR OIL and use it as a stain. I suggest you dig around craigslist and Facebook groups that buy /sell to see what people are doing in your area : Make one or two items of the things they maybe selling and do a test on what sells. We get the Spools for free and sell them for 150.00 Granted it takes her a week to make them / With a under table etc and make addons like she does. Put a door under the table and buy a 1 dollar trashcan from dollar tree. Raising the value 20 box for a 1 dollar trash can. Like troy said, your garden and your chickens : These items are GMO free : NOTE THAT! because some people will pay double simply for untainted food. But stick to your word, make sure you do not use them : some people are allergic, never lie about your food, and your items never tell what you spend. Also if you go on Pintrest there are a million things you can make with pallets : Wine Racks are the easiest I make and my wife varnishes them. Explore pintrest as well and you can see some of the items, see if you can create them with as little cash as possible : ONLY make one. See if it sells, then you will know. I am not as far as Troy is offgrid : I have the gear, but I still work 40+ Hours right now. I am doing this to quickly purchase the items I need before SHTF comes soon. Anyway look at troys videos, they in them selves have alot of info in them that will be useful in the coming years. God Bless Troy for doing this site and God Bless you for attempting to live as our parents Parents did!

Ryan Romero
Geaux Solar!
Ryan Romero,

The Cajun Rocket Scientist

Geaux Solar!!! :idea: