Video idea

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
Scorpion

Video idea

Post by Scorpion » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:22 am

its a idea that would allow you to work without being interrupted but also make video as i understand setting up camera, checking, pausing,moving, setting up and repeat is time wasting. why not set the camera up high like inside on rubbish weather day or outside highish up then u can move logs, go to ur chickens, go to where ever then you could speed it all up and you have a video.

OutOfPlaceNinja

Re: Video idea

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:21 pm

I think at one point he was going to put up "security cameras" which would be "live streaming". I would watch such from time to time but he never got around to it apparently. Probably some technical issue. I would be willing to help him however I can.

The issue with putting a camera high up or at a distance is quality. It would be impossible to see much detail if any. There is also the issue of no audio which can get boring.

That does remind me though, I wonder if Troy would be interested in the occasional timelapse.

Scorpion

Post by Scorpion » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:26 am

OutOfPlaceNinja The security camera I assumed he had but was only for security of the place. Would love that to be live.

I understand the no sound but least it would provide a video for people who moan when Troy doesn't do a video and just works load. The quality would depend on the camera wouldnt it?

I love timelapse video.

JimW

Post by JimW » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:37 pm

I almost never have audio on my video's. But I do a narration when I put them together. Of course, my video's are from game camera's and not a regular digital video camera. But, Troy could also add a narration to his video's. In some instances that could even be done now. Loud equipment, distance from camera cutting audio down, or just explaining something he missed while filming or what happened before/after the scene.

OutOfPlaceNinja

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:49 pm

Scorpion wrote:OutOfPlaceNinja The security camera I assumed he had but was only for security of the place. Would love that to be live.

I understand the no sound but least it would provide a video for people who moan when Troy doesn't do a video and just works load. The quality would depend on the camera wouldnt it?

I love timelapse video.
The video quality would depend on a lot of factors. If it is live streaming straight from his home internet connection, he has two basic choices: high quality but only maybe 1-3 people can view at any given time, or low quality and many can view but still not many due to limits in residential broadband. The higher quality the video the bigger the data stream. Using a hosted service similar to livestream could allow him to stream one decent quality stream and have it viewed by however many people the hosting service allows for the cost. Free hosting services usually have limits. Livestream I think the biggest limitation is video quality. Another thing that affects quality is the codec used to encode the raw video. That may depend on the camera or setup.

I think the reason he probably hasn't done it yet is a mixture of residential internet limits, restrictions of paid solutions, and the complexity of setting something like that up in an off grid situation. At the least he would need one computer running all the time even if all it does is act as a sort of router to route the streams to a hosted service. It may need to perform some work too (encoding video before uploading). Not sure how well his solar setup would handle such.

A lot of things needed to get it done basically.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:34 pm

One problem with just setting up a camera somewhere is that I move all over the place a lot. It would take hours to sort through hours of video footage to get a 10 minute video. I have long considered just recording all day but it is just not feasible for me here with the limited video editing time I have.

As for the streaming internet. Well, one problem is lack of extra power. I am improving my solar power system slowly but it takes time.

The other problem is that my internet is glitchy and slow. I have two modems but they are only 1mb upload speed each. I am trying to work around that.

Another problem is that I lost my software when I moved to a new server and have to rebuild. That will be a good winter project.