Learning alot from your videos

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
RobandLoriAlaska

Learning alot from your videos

Post by RobandLoriAlaska » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi Troy,
First and foremost, Thank you for serving. I myself am a 10 year vet of Army Aviation (15B). I'm currently contracting in the Middle East (UAE) but in 30 days my wife and I are moving off grid to Alaska. I'm only to April 2015 of your videos, but enjoy watching them all so far. I myself worked in tech for 8 years, in telecommunications software. We thought about doing a channel like this for off grid Alaska, but we are not sure if we want to deal with some of the trolls, its kind of why we are moving off grid, to get away from the gossip filled small town life. Still undecided at this time, not to mention the Alaska winter light for solar isn't going to be the best for power. Hope to finish all your videos this week as its Ramadan and cant do anything here for a month.

Keep it up!
Rob and Lori

techman
Site Admin

Re: Learning alot from your videos

Post by techman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Yes the limited sunlight hours for part of the year in Alaska would be tough on solar. But the other half the year you would have a decent amount of solar from my understanding of the long sunny nights.

With popularity comes trolls and attacks. If you dont want any of the stress then just enjoy what you do and keep it to yourself or shut off comments. Those would be the best two options.

Hope you enjoy the videos