Long time fan

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
PhotoManDan

Long time fan

Post by PhotoManDan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Hey Troy!
Just stopping in to say what's up. I've been a long time fan of your YouTube videos. But finally getting around to getting myself on the forum to talk to the man himself.
I just wanted to let you know I love what your doing,and support the the off grid project and tiny house movement.
Also. I am a professional welder by trade. And have a side business as a pro photographer. If you feel as tho my skills might be of some use to you let me know. Maybe Ill make the trek up from philly one weekend I'm free to lend a hand.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Long time fan

Post by techman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for watching my videos. I cannot think of any needs for a photographer right now but I can sure use a welder. Problem is that I am off the grid and have nothing powerful enough to run a welder out here. I am not experienced in gas welding either so that is out for me.

The door is always open. Let me know when you want to come over and I would be happy to have you here.

Troy

PhotoManDan

Post by PhotoManDan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:24 pm

What exactly are your needs. I have a small portable welding machine that can be ran off a normal 15 or 20 amp house plug. And it can get hot enough to handle 1/8" thick steel with no issue. So your big generator should be able to power that (not 100% sure). And for something thicker. You can stick weld with a couple good car batteries. But it has a very short weld time.
http://youtu.be/PV5oLPLUzrM Video of a guy welding brake discs together.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:36 am

I would like to get the wind turbine tower back up in the air. I think that a welder would do the job much better. The screws had been torn through the holes in the last wind storm that took it down.

PhotoManDan

Post by PhotoManDan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:01 pm

I've only gotten up to October on your videos. I was un aware that you even got it in the air! Congrats on that. But I'm fairly confident that the little Portable unit I have can handle that. The biggest problem for me would be finding a weekend I'm not doing something. My fiancé's sister is getting married in September. And I'm tying the knot next June. And like I had previously mentioned I work 2 jobs. So once I see some free weekends I'll be sure to try and put something together to come help you out.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Wow, you sure are busy then.

Yes let me know when you have time. Thanks.

TKRC

Post by TKRC » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:29 pm

Hi Troy! I've been following you for a couple of years now. Its been great watching your progress. My wife and I built a log home in the Black Hills of South Dakota in the late 1980's. The logs were cut from our land and hand-scribed using the Swedish Cope method. It was an awesome experience! We were not off-grid, but heated our home with wood, etc. We used about 6-8 cords of pine per winter.

Thanx for explaining things re: the method to your madness. I understand completely!

Great Blessing to you.

Tom Kushman

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi Tom,

I have great respect for you. I have studied log cabins and am not sure I could do it. Looks like some real hard work. Respect.

Thanks for your comments and thanks for watching.

Troy