Ideas for gardening in small spaces (year round)

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
lilyb4

Ideas for gardening in small spaces (year round)

Post by lilyb4 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:35 am

Troy here's a couple of ideas for "mobile" gardening. the first uses PVC pipes and ideal for keeping plants compact. While I'm still in the planning stages, for me this would be hung on the patio or next to a window. http://alternative-energy-gardning.blog ... arden.html The second is a vertical garden system; I would copy the idea more likely - how great it would be to have an edible garden in the dead of winter? http://www.lilypadplanet.com/

techman
Site Admin

Re: Ideas for gardening in small spaces (year round)

Post by techman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:19 am

Thank you.

I am looking into various ideas for small space gardening this year. My main garden area will be used for corn, popcorn and ground vine plants like melons, squash and cukes. Plus any tomatoes that grow up again on their own like they did last year.

Up in front of the tiny house on wheels I hope to have a porch/greenhouse. This will be a fully enclosed area which I will use in summer as a porch and grow area for edible plants plus a nice bug free zone to sit in and enjoy.

In winter I hope it will be warm enough from the sun to sit out and have a cup of tea while it is freezing cold outside. I plan to grow winter veggies out there then.

In summer it will be screened in. Winter it will be enclosed in plastic.

For gardening space I will have aquaponics and raised vertical grow beds. I am thinking about using pallet wood for the framing of the beds.

happyhippy

Post by happyhippy » Sun May 10, 2015 6:50 am

I have been using pallet wood for a while for my raised beds in the garden - one thing I have to say is use screws when you put them together. If a plank starts to rot, screws are a lot easier to get out than a nail! Yanking a nail out of the wood may cause more problems - my first bot fell apart when I tried getting an old nail out so now I am a screw man!

Combined with square foot gardening,in my little veggie patch I have 129 sq feet which gives me plenty to grow a year, even in the UK!

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed May 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for the tip. Yes pulling out broken or rotted boards with nails can be a problem.

I am rethinking the entire garden this year. We have a freeze warning for tonight so I am happy that I waited so long right now.