Ham Radio

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
JimW

Ham Radio

Post by JimW » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 am

I've noticed a few other hams on the forum, but haven't noticed Troy talking too much about ham radio. I thought it would be interesting and (possibly) informative to have a thread on ham radio. I am currently a general class, but only use the 2 meter. I am waiting for money and the right deal to come along before I get on another frequency. I am thinking either 20 or 40 meters QRP for long distance communications and emergency power. I currently run my 2 meter radio from a 12 volt battery that is charged by the Harbor Freight 45 watt solar panels and am hoping that I can find a good radio for the other bands that I can also run from that setup. Hence QRP (for non-hams QRP in this context means low power).

Also, we need to encourage Troy to get his ticket!!!! :lol:

techman
Site Admin

Re: Ham Radio

Post by techman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:59 pm

If there is enough interest in the topic I will happily add another forum. I am not talking about it much because I need to take the test. Have had a long hard winter and did not study at all this year as I had planned to.

DrBill

Post by DrBill » Thu May 21, 2015 2:15 pm

techman wrote:If there is enough interest in the topic I will happily add another forum. I am not talking about it much because I need to take the test. Have had a long hard winter and did not study at all this year as I had planned to.
The Gordon West Technician Handbook is probably the easiest way to study and pass the Technician Question Pool.
35 multi guess questions. Read every question and only the right answers and you won't have a problem passing.

This could be a hot spot...

JimW

Post by JimW » Sun May 24, 2015 3:34 pm

I used some of the free study guides I found online. Then took the example tests online until I was consistently making 90% or better. Most online example tests use the same question pool as the actual test, so in effect you are taking the test, just can't use it to get your license. The volunteer examiners will do everything they can to make the test easy, that is, everything legal (they can't answer the questions for you!)
I now have my general license, that test is a bit more difficult, but still not bad. I also gave the Extra a shot - and need a LOT more studying before I think I can pass it.
My sister get me an ICOM IC-718 radio and I got a windom ocf antenna for it. So now I can work 10 - 160 meters at 100 watts. Since I'm running on solar I have decided I would not get an amplifier and just continue at 100 watts. My solar setup is the 45 watt HF panels charging one (at present) 12 volt battery. So, I don't do long ragchews, but have spent hours listening! I do check in on an 80 meter net meeting every sunday morning. My signal may be a bit week but I am making the hop from far SE Oklahoma to Oklahoma City. And, I don't have to depend on the power company to do it!!! :D

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 am

Imagine one day having a HAM radio chat. I have been thinking about that for a while now. I will get out the book and start studying evenings before bed.