Congrats on abandoning the YT comment cesspool!

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
Phonehed

Congrats on abandoning the YT comment cesspool!

Post by Phonehed » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:08 pm

I think that was a great move Troy! I stopped commenting on all YouTube videos when they tried to force me to sign up for Google Plus and since they can't seem to take a hint I have totally abandoned my YouTube channel (Phonehed) all together! just wanted you to know that you never lost me as a viewer, merely as a commenter. Glad to hear that we finally have a place where we can chat again without being subject to the YouTube / Google stupidity! Lol...since we last chatted, I have managed to escape the big city and start my own little survival compound about a year ago. with any luck I hope to be totally off grid within a year or two. I'm still learning a lot from your videos so keep up the good work!

OutOfPlaceNinja

Re: Congrats on abandoning the YT comment cesspool!

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:31 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

I used to comment a lot on Troys videos until Google decided to screw things up then the trolls began waging war on his comment section. Just not worth the trouble. I will say Troy should recruit some help to keep up when there are far more forum members. I would volunteer if he lets me.

Shootist

Post by Shootist » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:42 pm

It would be nice if this forum had been prepared for the influx of new users and all the old messages archived.

Also I'd sure like to see all the new vids embedded in a forum topic so that they might be viewed from here rather than actually have to go to Youtube.
"Libertarians are such elitists. They think you know how to run your own life better than they do."

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Good to have you all here. Welcome to the forum.

I have long considered making a new forum with a new thread for each video as I put them up. Would be a lot of work for me though. Lets see. I may try it one day and see how it goes.

The biggest problem I can foresee is that eventually the forum would have well over 1,000 video sub forums (one per video). This in itself might end up being too much to search through.

I am open to suggestions.....

The_Amateur

Post by The_Amateur » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Have one page for all your videos and everybody making a comment would be a reply.

To get you to know it's about an older video, tell them to say something like, "This comment pertains to your XYZ video," at the start of the reply/comment. It would be easier than going through let's say 1,000 different threads or whatever.

Shiftlock

Post by Shiftlock » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:25 pm

techman wrote:The biggest problem I can foresee is that eventually the forum would have well over 1,000 video sub forums (one per video). This in itself might end up being too much to search through.
You don't need a sub forum for each video, just a sub forum called YouTube Videos with a topic in it for each video. If possible, set it so that only you can start new topics in that sub forum, and start the day's topic after the video goes online. That way it will be a sub forum with entirely YouTube video comments, with one topic per video. Nice and neat. Just an idea. I, for one, would love to comment on your videos here on the forum, but it's hard to know where exactly is the best place to do it.

Flood_of_SYNs

Post by Flood_of_SYNs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:15 am

Shiftlock wrote:
techman wrote:The biggest problem I can foresee is that eventually the forum would have well over 1,000 video sub forums (one per video). This in itself might end up being too much to search through.
You don't need a sub forum for each video, just a sub forum called YouTube Videos with a topic in it for each video. If possible, set it so that only you can start new topics in that sub forum, and start the day's topic after the video goes online. That way it will be a sub forum with entirely YouTube video comments, with one topic per video. Nice and neat. Just an idea. I, for one, would love to comment on your videos here on the forum, but it's hard to know where exactly is the best place to do it.
I like this idea, I was thinking the same thing.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:54 am

That sounds like the best idea yet. Thank you for the suggestion.

I do not want to replace the YT comments entirely though with the forum. Just bring the good quality stuff here. But that is a good idea. I may just do it. Let me think about it over the weekend.

Thanks