hi y'all

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
DesertStormVet

hi y'all

Post by DesertStormVet » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here on the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I've long been a fan of minimalism and recently became aware of the tiny house movement. I've managed to get my wife on board with building a tiny house so I'm currently in the planning and design stage. I'm learning quite a bit from Troy's videos and have gotten some great money saving ideas from them as well. I just finished watching the paneling videos and I'd never have thought to make paneling out of old 2×4s. You're doing a fantastic job Troy! Keep up the good work!

techman
Site Admin

Re: hi y'all

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Thank you. I am also surprised at how the paneling turned out. It just came to me one day when I was cutting them up as scrap wood. Looked pretty inside.

Please feel free to share your progress here when you get started.

The_Amateur

Post by The_Amateur » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:29 pm

Welcome to the forum! Another approach to paneling could be using plywood of any thickness. This is what I began doing last Oct/Nov in my "off-grid playground," of which I've made many posts here on the forum's off grid living page about. It would be easy to sand down to smoothen given you got a palm sander, and it's already flat. All the boards were exactly 4" wide and at varying lengths. Here's a picture showing the wall near the end of the paneling:

http://i.imgur.com/ISzuDLQ.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not perfect since I skimped on a few things, but you get the idea. The interior looks really nice now with some paneled walls, much better than staring at OSB. I even stuck some styrofoam insulation in there. If you are wondering why I am doing the experiment, check out my form post I was talking about earlier in this post.

DesertStormVet

Post by DesertStormVet » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:50 am

It's going to be a while before I can get started on the actual build. I have quite a bit going on as well as designing and finding a place to build my house here in Ohio that won't end up costing an arm and a leg. Because of my job I need to stay close to the Cincinnati area and EVERYTHING'S expensive. I think I've settled on a design now and I'm drawing crude blueprints to "guesstimate" how much material and cash I need to get started. I'm going to use Troy's idea of shaving 2x4s to make paneling and I'm toying with making them into a tongue and groove which I know will take time but should solve the gap problem. Tongue and groove isn't hard to make on a table saw just time consuming.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:45 am

If I had the time last year I would also have made tongue and groove. But it would also take more wood because the boards have to be thicker. I am not sure I have enough to do that anyway.

Well I hope you can glean some good ideas from my videos and from this forum along the way :)