Youtube Video

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
JimW

Youtube Video

Post by JimW » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:53 pm

I thought about giving a subject name of " A New Beginning", but decided people might not know what that was about! :D

Suggestion - in your startup splash (whatever that is at the start of the video!) you might want to add a note that comments made below the video may not be read and to become a member of your forum go to (this address!)
That way if someone posts a question below the video and you happen to miss it they can't complain that you are ignoring them.
I do wish youtube would give the video posters more power over their own channel, but I guess they are only out for money and know that there is nowhere else that you can go and get the same exposure.

Good luck and hope you manage to keep the trolls at bay here!

george house

Re: Youtube Video

Post by george house » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:35 pm

the forum thing is difficult to me, but as you said, yes, but do make more videos, and troy don't look at the comments, the doc made a mock video, did you see it , it was discussing, to say the least.
troy can you make this forum similar to the comments you tube so we can send only to you and not the trolls
and no trolls get into here

MollyDolly

Post by MollyDolly » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Good idea...

MollyDolly

Post by MollyDolly » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Troy.....I got a message when I posted that my post had to be approved by the Admin... ??? What is that about? Do you personally approve every comment? That makes me tired just thinking about it.

Al Oft

Post by Al Oft » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Troy, I really have to side with the people who are telling you to disable the comments. Put a link on each video to the forum. This will give you just one place to go to respond to the good people who want to help you. This could be a real time saver if you are just hitting the forum and not even needing to mess with the comments at all. Work on interesting and content filled videos and the rest will work itself out. Every minute spent worry about the trolls is a minute not making fun videos/working on your THOW. God Bless and keep your head up.

georgiagirl43

Post by georgiagirl43 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:55 pm

Hey Troy,
Can you disable comments?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Wow, all at once. Sorry for my late reply. Been quite sick.

I think I will just answer some of the more important comments, delete some trolls here and there. But concentrate on the forum for the most part.

I plan to put a link to the forum on every video in the future. As someone suggested, I will just put a message in the video somewhere mentioning the forum.

I can keep the forum troll free. Molly asked about the message approval. The first three posts from any person have to be manually approved by myself. This eliminates most trolls and bad guys, or spammers.

After that, if someone turns out to be a spy or sneaking in to cause trouble it takes only a couple mouse clicks to ban them and delete all the posts they ever wrote. All at once.

I think the forum has a huge amount of potential. Again, especially since I have full control and I write or modify the software as needed.

As to removing comments entirely - not good because comments help rank a video higher. It is just a small part of what causes a video to rank but it helps. And each time someone comments, it increases my views a bit. This helps because a video with more views normally gets more views.