I'm on the Forum!

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
tardsat

I'm on the Forum!

Post by tardsat » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Some questions:
1. Whatever happened to the "bad' (egg eating) rooster?
2. Back in November, I sent a care package which had a Carbon Monoxide/Smoke Detector. You put it up somewhere, right? Please do it now if you haven't! It could save your life...and baby cat's too. That's all I ask in return. Glad to see the stove thermometer getting used.

Also, a few notes:
Remember, I think you need to correct for temperature when you check specific gravity. That's a big problem with a lot of equipment you have...the chargers don't increase the charge voltage to compensate for the cold temperatures. The only one that does is the Tri-star, which is awesome! When you run the alternator or even the HF gen/battery charger, they don't compensate so they will only go to about 14V...enough to charge a dead battery but not enough to fill all the way up. Things will be better when the temps go up to more normal soon!

Thanks for your great videos and we'll keep watching.

techman
Site Admin

Re: I'm on the Forum!

Post by techman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:22 pm

The chicken was living under the tiny house on wheels. It is warmer down there and he was doing well. But he stopped eating for some reason and now he is dead. He just stopped eating. I guess he preferred eggs to the good stuff I give the birds.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention the other points.

Yes I have the co2 sensor installed. Thank you.

My charge controller has the temperature sensor connected. You can see the battery temperature every time I show the controller display.

tardsat

Post by tardsat » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

(Bad chicken) You should have eaten him! But then maybe not...

Yes, I was saying the only charger you have that does sense the temperature is the Tri-star, that's why it knows to let the voltage go above 15V (when not even equalizing) because the batteries are cold, which is the right thing to do. Unfortunately, the HF controller, the alternator/generator, and the HF Gen/battery charger are all assuming the batteries are at room temperature. The batteries they are hooked to will not fully charge at 13.6 to 14.0V. I will make a graph to help you be able to tell how much this affects you.

I don't have a quick fix for you, but one thing you could do is connect the HF panels (assuming they are 12V) directly to the batts, then monitoring that they don't go to high and boil for too long. I bet you could do that to the golf cart batteries in the RV. If they boil for an hour or two that's the equivalent to an equalize charge and won't hurt things as you know.

P.S. Where do you have the Tri-star sensor connected? I seem to remember you put it on the junction block you made, because you have that connector to be able to disconnect the forklift batts...or did you put the sensor on the battery? In a couple of vids you were commenting that the tri-star temperature reading seemed a little off...if you are on the block you could move it to the "old" forklift battery you made. If you mount it to the battery lug it will folllow the temperature of the new forklift batteries really well.

Thanks for putting up the CO detector, I will sleep at night now.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:13 pm

I was using the HF panels directly on the batteries but now they are charging the golf cart batteries in the old off grid RV.

I feel really stupid. I cant believe I put the temperature sensor on the lug. Yes you are correct. I need to move it to the battery somewhere. Nowhere to screw it on but I guess I can try to press it in between the battery cell and the casing. Thanks for catching that.