Hi!

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
71Chevyc10

Hi!

Post by 71Chevyc10 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi Troy,
So I have been watching your videos for quite a while now. I think its awesome what your doing by living off the grid and thought after all this time I would say hi. I myself am very mechanically inclined and i'm an auto mechanic by trade. I also like doing a lot of DIY projects. I'm not here to criticize and thing you have already done. I think all and all its pretty good. Everyone does things differently. I would like to make a suggestion just to have something to talk about basically. I had an idea about an electrical cabinet right where your charge controller is. i would make a cabinet only like 6 inches deep or however deep you would need to fit most of your electronics fuses, charge controller, ect. but still not make the kitchen cabinets look any different in design. Kind of like a electrical panel on a regular house to but all the stuff in so it is neat and looks good and is functional. It would also get your wires out from your bottom cabinets. Just a thought since you just moved all the golf cart batteries back into the rv. Well good luck with everything Troy keep up the good work and if you wanna throw any ideas back and fourth for future projects i'd be more then happy to discuss them with you its fun seeing things come together.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Hi!

Post by techman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:36 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes actually I had thought about that before. I was going to put it all in a cabinet. But I realize that I watch the front panel so much the cabinet would remain open all the time. And I like the look of the electronics showing there.

But yes the wires need to be sorted and organized badly.

71Chevyc10

Post by 71Chevyc10 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:51 pm

That's a great point Troy I would be monitoring all that stuff a lot as well. I hope the weather up there gets better. I'm in NY as well but on the island. What's the running status of the RV did it run when it was parked before you got it? Seeing that run in the future would be awesome!

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Middle of a blizzard right now. You are supposed to be getting some this weekend too.

The old RV ran 8 years ago. I did not try it. He drove it to its location and I had it towed here. I believe it will run again but only with some love and care.

71Chevyc10

Post by 71Chevyc10 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:15 pm

Yeah wouldn't take much probly rebuild carburetor and change fluids and it should run. That's what's nice about older vehicles they are fairly simple. Yeah had a little snow here not bad though.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Yes that and put a bit of oil in the top of the cylinders to prevent too much friction after sitting so long.

And the gas tanks have gas that is now about 8 years old. They have no drains either so that means dropping the tanks