Some advice concerning the forum

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
wazzyl

Re: Some advice concerning the forum

Post by wazzyl » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:44 pm

i know phpbb has a success troy, but have you ever tried the forum software mybb? http://www.mybb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that forum its easy to block users so they can refresh whenever they want with their ip but they wont get access to the website.

mybb is a free board, bit easy and simple to work with, even for you, phpbb is advanced. If you want to have a good forum please contact me so i can help you against trolling people and spammers!

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:30 pm

I would either turn the comments off, or just make it known that you personally do not read or respond to comments made on youtube, only on your forum. Just go silent running and chat to your hearts content on your own forum. BTW, the more you're here, the more we will be too, so it makes it a popular forum for real discussions.

Is it possible to embed your videos on your site? I'd go here to watch and bypass the warring factions altogether.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:21 pm

wazzyl wrote:i know phpbb has a success troy, but have you ever tried the forum software mybb? http://www.mybb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that forum its easy to block users so they can refresh whenever they want with their ip but they wont get access to the website.

mybb is a free board, bit easy and simple to work with, even for you, phpbb is advanced. If you want to have a good forum please contact me so i can help you against trolling people and spammers!

Thank you for the offer of help. For one thing though I have had this forum for about three years now and I am fully familiar with it. Plus I have modified the code to meet my needs and help prevent tons of spam. Through the years I had literally hundreds of thousands of spam attacks. Recently only one per week slip through. And these are then real humans trying to post. The posts never see the light of day though.

I can also ban someone forever through various methods. I mentioned IP addresses but it is not a good way to do it. They can change their IP.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Paul wrote:I would either turn the comments off, or just make it known that you personally do not read or respond to comments made on youtube, only on your forum. Just go silent running and chat to your hearts content on your own forum. BTW, the more you're here, the more we will be too, so it makes it a popular forum for real discussions.

Is it possible to embed your videos on your site? I'd go here to watch and bypass the warring factions altogether.
First of all, sorry for the delay in answering. Bad start, huh? I have been quite sick.

I do plan to concentrate more on the forum from now on. I will check the comments but a lot less.

I will not turn off the comments because every comment ads a view to the view count and comments help rank a video higher. More views and more comments all increase video rank.

Funny you ask about putting videos on my site. A viewer just wrote me a perfect solution for just that. I will be trying it out in the next day or so. I will have the link on The Do It Yourself World main website when it is ready. It will replace the old videos link. That is where I tried to do it manually once but it was too much work. This new solution will be way better and interactive.