Moving the new fork lift batteries

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
Western Rose

Moving the new fork lift batteries

Post by Western Rose » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:26 pm

My husband I have been watching your struggles with moving those batteries closer to your tiny house. Have you considered using lengths of logs maybe 6 inches in diameter and making a crate around the batteries & then u could roll pushy them along the rollers? Just an idea.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Moving the new fork lift batteries

Post by techman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:11 am

I had considered using logs, yes but it sure would have been a task. And dangerous because the battery is very tall and top heavy. It would have required three guys to do it safely anyway to ensure it would not tip over.

DrBill

Post by DrBill » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:36 pm

The way you did it worked out just fine.

jblee

Post by jblee » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:13 am

I watched the vid today about solar panel placement and the fork lift batteries. I'm wondering if temp is related to specific gravity? Perhaps he can charge them all winter and they will not get any better than FAIR. Perhaps a better approach would be to just use them and that would be better in the long run?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:32 pm

I fear you may be right. The batteries are always at a low capacity it seems. I dont dare use them though until they are fully topped off properly

Gamer 1

Post by Gamer 1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Hey Troy, have you thought about using snow to insulate tour batteries?

heres an awesome resource Troy
http://www.freesunpower.com/chargecontrollers.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

o yea, and does your charge controller have a battery temp sensor? higer end charge controllers use the battery tep to adjust the charge settings.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Snow is a temporary thing and the moisture could slowly damage the metal casing on the battery. I have fully insulated it for now with used fiberglass insulation I got for free in summer.

I will build a proper housing for it when the snow melts off my wood.

Yes my MPPT solar charge controller has both temperature and voltage sensors on it. They are now both properly connected as well.