Vaper barriere and joist hanger

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
Zelturo

Vaper barriere and joist hanger

Post by Zelturo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:37 am

Hello troy Just wandering why did you put your joist hanger upside down and also dont you guys in the states use vaper barrier in you house.

Iam just wondering because the way I see your joist hanger they are upside down and also thre should have been a vaper barriere between the wool and floor on the hot side also the wool should have been place all the way up so it would be against the floor.

Have nice day

david

Zelturo

Re: Vaper barriere and joist hanger

Post by Zelturo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 am

Also troy you might want to consider PL premium for glue instead of sillicone its way better

grandads_shed

Post by grandads_shed » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi m8 ,, the reason that the hangers are upside down is because the weight distribution is the opposite way round,
normally the joists are supported, and the sit on the walls,,
but in this instance the joists are are the supports , and the walls are supported on the joists

Zelturo

Post by Zelturo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Hello troy just warche the video.

You are mistaken about rv ventilation like i said many times iam an rv technician and work in canada has you know i live in quebec so we have similar weather. In most rv high end rvs canadian edition we now see roof ventilation. They started installing them about 5years ago. They started installing them because customer would complain that the insolation on the roof was always wet. It was caused by condensation.

I beleive your book is based on building code that would be done in a warmer area. The condensation problem starts only when you have a major temperature differencial from outside to inside l.

As per the floor well the condensation is not an issue in an rv because the frame is in metal. I get customer comming in every fall sayng that they have a water leak during fall. Most of the time the water is just condensation on the underbelly you would be amazed how much water actually condensate on the floor.

I will again tell you the same thing as everytime please call me when you have issue rv wise. I going to resent you a private message with my home and cell phone number. I really enjoy watching you and it would be really sad seeing you fail for such easy fix.

Thanks David

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 am

First I will address the floor joist question. I have a cantilever and was advised to use the joist hangers upside down due to this. It is unusual but works in my situation.

We do use vapor barrier here in the US. But since my floor is sealed off on the bottom with aluminum it is a sort of vapor barrier already. I am hoping that that area will breathe through the floor.

Thank you again for your help and offer. If I need advice I can call.

Zelturo

Post by Zelturo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:47 am

The thing is to keep condensation from happening the vaper barrier need to be on the inside not the outside

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 am

Sorry I did not see this earlier.

I am going to have my walls set up like this from outside to inside:

Pallet siding, tar paper, plywood sheathing, insulation, air gap, radiant barrier, air gap, pallet paneling.

Should be nice and cozy. I think the radiant barrier will act as a nice vapor barrier when I tape all the seams and seal it nicely.