Connecting your TriStar to your pc

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
nathannitz

Connecting your TriStar to your pc

Post by nathannitz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi Troy. I just watched your most recent video where you talk about the weather affecting the output of your solar panels. It reminded me of one of the videos of when you first got your TriStar controller, and I thought you said it could be hooked up via ethernet to your PC. I found a video on how to do it, and it looks like you could set up a page so people could see live data on how much power you're bringing in, and the charge status of the batteries, etc. It looks like Morningstar makes a free data logging program too, so you could log the controller's data for your own use. It would be interesting to see the correlation between your weather station data and the solar panel/controller data, and how the weather affects the panel's output during the day.

Here's a link to the video showing how to set up and view the TriStar's web page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2XBguHAK_w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just an interesting thought for your site. And thanks for the great videos as always!

techman
Site Admin

Re: Connecting your TriStar to your pc

Post by techman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:13 am

Thank you for the info. I do plan to connect my Tristar to the internet like I did with my weather station. It would be pretty cool for people to see the two together as you say.

grandads_shed

Post by grandads_shed » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:33 pm

if you do do this it would be great ,, i watch you vids every day, so i can see the weather you are having each day ,, to be able to see how the solar panels are working on those days would be fantastic to see, :D

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:06 am

Yes it would be quite amazing to have it all working together. It is complicated for me though and taking time for me to study everything. Plus the lumber yard job took half my day every day and I was not getting enough done around here. That job is finished so I will have full days here again.