Tick replellent

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
happyhippy

Tick replellent

Post by happyhippy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:17 am

Troy - from the videos you seem to have a lot of problems with ticks. I read a few different offgrid / forum places and someone said this works a treat to keep the ticks off. Being in the UK I couldn't tell you if it works or not, I don't have many deers wondering through my garden :)

Anyway, here it is:

20 drops of lemongrass essential oil
20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
4oz of water

Put it all in a spray bottle and shake well.

It then says spray on shoes, socks and the bottom of your trousers.

Safe for human and dog, not sure if you can spray the chickens or not :)

Keep safe!

techman
Site Admin

Re: Tick replellent

Post by techman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Thank you. I will have to try this one day when the bottle of natural (expensive) repellent I am using runs out. It is a mix of essential oils.

Kaalinashi

Post by Kaalinashi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:31 am

Down in Texas where the ticks were bad and the chiggers were HORRIBLE, we used to pull up our pant legs and take a sock full of sulphur and smack your shoes and socks. No ticks, no chiggers. However my wife is allergic to sulfa drugs. We were going hiking, and my friend was trying to be helpful, and dusted her shoes and socks with sulphur. Her lips and face swelled up terribly. She certainly showed what a trooper she is by insisting on going on the hiking trip.

NazikuKaido

Post by NazikuKaido » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:19 am

happyhippy wrote:Troy - from the videos you seem to have a lot of problems with ticks. I read a few different offgrid / forum places and someone said this works a treat to keep the ticks off. Being in the UK I couldn't tell you if it works or not, I don't have many deers wondering through my garden :)

Anyway, here it is:

20 drops of lemongrass essential oil
20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
4oz of water

Put it all in a spray bottle and shake well.

It then says spray on shoes, socks and the bottom of your trousers.

Safe for human and dog, not sure if you can spray the chickens or not :)

Keep safe!
Do I have to have it drop by drop? How about the 4oz of water

I mean, how many drops is that supposed to be?
I am the best greatest ever
:shock: :? 8-) :twisted: :lol:

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 am

Yes it is simple to count the 20 drops from an essential oil dispenser. I would count them out for precision the first time. Once you have done it you can probably guess next time.

Same with the water. Measure it out once with a measuring cup. Next time you can eye it up