Troy mouse problem

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
Zelturo

Troy mouse problem

Post by Zelturo » Mon May 26, 2014 9:17 am

Hello everyone I have lived in the wild before and we had a lot of mouse the best solution for them was to use a 5 gallon bucket with 5"to 6" of water in it. at the top of the bucket you put a piece of wire that goes throw a pup can. Also make a little ramp for the mice to go up to the can. Put peanut butter on the can.

The mouse will go up to eat the peanut butter but will fall into the bucket and drown. That Technic is good because its a mouse trap that will automatically reset the trap. You can catch quite a bit of mouse that way.

Hope it helps

David

techman
Site Admin

Re: Troy mouse problem

Post by techman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:28 am

I am going to try this now that I finally have a bucket I am willing to ruin. With the cost of a bucket around here I was not willing to use one for the project.

The other problem I have is that it rains here just about every day. I need to find a place to keep my bucket out of the rain. Maybe I will have to make a small shelter just for my mouse collector.

I will do it soon and make a video of it.

One difference I am going to make is that I will add some dish soap to the water. This will kill any ticks that are on the animals that fall into the water.

Zelturo

Post by Zelturo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Its nice to see you will try it

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:44 pm

I have the materials to make this but now I have another problem. I have had rain for a week straight now. I am out in the forest with no room inside the RV or camper to set this up full time. Who wants a bucket full of dead mice in their home?

I am trying to find a place to put the bucket mouse trap where it will be protected from the weather. I may have to build a small shelter for it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Frozenoem

Post by Frozenoem » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:33 pm

I've used the bucket of death and it works.
I can also testify to seeing it used for 20-30 mice per day in a state park.

It works best within the house/camp or log cabin.

For a slower alternative you might try "ALittle Bite'll Do Them" that's a mouse/rat killer sold at Aubuchon's or Farmers supply store maybe in your area. Unlike typical poison this sends the creature fleeing to find water outside. Also unlike typical poison this dessicates them no stink.

Cleaned out my camp within 1 month, after it had been overrun for quite awhile. I ADMIT with my dogs had to put the bait packs in the attic, and behind walls to keep them safe.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 am

I am looking for a good, dry place to keep the bucket trap. I will make one soon.

I use tomcat mouse bait for now. One bite and they are dead in three days. Its the best stuff I have found. Only problem is that you have to sometimes find the dead mouse afterwards.