Pully system to generate Electricity.

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
atgblue1

Pully system to generate Electricity.

Post by atgblue1 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:20 am

Hello,

ok to the point. and unfortunately this is my 2nd time writing it cause it got deleted the first time, so the quality is probably lower. :/

Pulley system to generate power using weights slowly falling, connected to gears ---> step-up gears ---> power generator. it could be an alternator, whatever. then either connects to a battery bank or if bya longshot it generates enough it connects straight to the appliance (of course with the various converters, etc).

I saw this in a youtube vid built from legos for a project. it powered an led light. what if it was iron/steel gears, 300lbs, or 500lbs, etc of weight fallling slowly due to the tension, so it has a lot of power in the gears turning?
it was mentioned on tedtalks about it too, using 500bls and a car-jack to lift it back. or it could be individual plates of like 100lbs or something that i could re-start myself with no problem.

it could also use flywheels if that would generate more energy, or i guess since they just store it idk.

so whatcha thinK?

1. would step-up gears make the power so low on the end that it wont produce a significant amount of energy?
2. would it workd to have a heavier weight falling slowly to increase the torque/power of the gears, thereby increasing the rpms or the strength of the rpms to turn a bigger generator etc?

the idea is for it to take 2-5 hours (or more of course) to fall. then lift-reset- rinse and repeat.

if I could get one to produce say 200watts on a steady basis, then i could make 3 of them and have 600 watts. or if one made 150 watts, make several etc to get the amount you need.

in the end, the object is to be able to run a 550 watt A/C window unit on it for say 5 hours after nights charge, or if it produced enough, to use it for 8 hours at a time etc (if the energy produced was continuously high enough).

***end of post***

ps: i also saw a video of a guy who re-wired a ceiling fan to produce energy (like a wind turbine) and it produced around 40-60watt output after spinning it (at peak spin). if i made 10 of those, all i'd have to figure out is a way to spin them and i have 400-600 watts. :D I'm considering magnets with an on/off switch for the magnets, to keep the movement going. but thats something else no one agrees with. . . . i'll still play with it. . . .and maybe die alone like tesla. . . :/

techman
Site Admin

Re: Pully system to generate Electricity.

Post by techman » Sun May 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Now that is an interesting idea i never heard of. If the small example works then i don't see why you could not scale it up. I think that if you need more power then yes increase the weights.

Only thing is that this would take some space to set up and run. But then again so do wind turbines and solar panels.

I would love to see someone try this one day.

Think of the old grandfather clocks. It's the same idea really.

I have turned table fans into wind turbines with success and have videos to show it. I want to use a ceiling fan one day and will eventually do it.

Your idea with pulleys and weights would work with any permanent magnet generator or DC motor.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:49 am

wil not work producing real power, remember , its not only rotating the generator, but it is also loading it withh the power you draw , and the losses in the system., unless its a very small load, the same system as a clock whit weights that wil work, making electricity is easier with solar panels or wind or water power. ;)
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:51 am

btw , any coil in a moving magnetic field will produce power, its the amount of power yoy can draw from it effectively that will count.
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:21 am

True, but it is worth trying to see what you can make of it. Even hamsters can produce power.

hi_tech_guy_18

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:53 am

I know of a inverter Trevor Baylis who invented the freeplay clockwork radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Baylis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUG1KCsq5lA
He ran into a mechanical friction loss problem with the gears and axles that would waste the energy the more of them their were
one of his prototypes radios used bucket of water witched up a tree and slowly powered the radio for over an hour

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:01 pm

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I still have to believe its possible for longer periods considering grandfather clocks use the same system. I think you would need heavier weights for a larger load is all.

hi_tech_guy_18

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:23 pm

A nice generator for this would be Brush-less Direct drive motors out of washing machines
They are very efficient motors / generators

Normally they run on 32V - 36V - 48V DC

Code: Select all

http://www.thediyworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8515
Small Diesel engine running a Jacobs Ladder (and very high frequency)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCmxaxPkWY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;