tiny home stuff

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
mrreality13

tiny home stuff

Post by mrreality13 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:24 pm

Hey Troy,
Hope all is well.Ive done a lil lookin into tiny homes my self as i now belive id be in a similar situation as you w/ your camper-could be a waist of money to fix it (house boat that is) supplys for a proper roof and new flooring would run in the $2500.00 range
My friend/landlord has said he may look into buying sevral 40' shipping containers and we would both help each other renovate them into homes(being on the bottom edge of tornado ally they cae be very safe if anchored in),where we live the law's are very open on the kind of homes you can build on a working farm(he has cattle,hogs,and goats on close to 400 acres)
he also mentioned i could look into having a building/shed from like home depot built/delivered and convert the inside as i see fit ..(somthin like this )
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Home-P ... uhZ1z0umsx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but i digress,I wanted to pass along a few links for ya to look at for ideas ,as well as a story i saw on a tv show :a guy got in big trouble using what was refered as "un marked" lumber to build a home(was on a history channel show,it name slips me atm)so i was glad you didnt trade trailer for "home made"lumber heres a few links ,hope they help ya w/ ideas
http://tinyhouselistings.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.reddit.com/r/simpleliving" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.reddit.com/r/TinyHouses/?cou ... =t3_1x9hdb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Talk at ya soon have a great week
Never ever approach a puter thinking this will only take a minute

techman
Site Admin

Re: tiny home stuff

Post by techman » Sun May 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Thank you for the ideas and links. I was actually hoping to get free lumber but then again I never heard of unmarked lumber before. Strange.

I am still working out the bugs in my own plan and looking into the cost and weight of materials for my camper frame.

mrreality13

Post by mrreality13 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:26 am

Certified construction lumber
Laws governing the lumber used in building. December 17, 2002

Question
There's an article in our upstate New York newspaper about a local sawmill operator who is going to have a problem in the near future selling rough cut lumber, because it is not certified to build with. The building inspector won't allow sheds or barns to be built with rough cut lumber unless it is certified. Has anyone else run into this problem? If I want to sell beams or 2x4s for a shed, what are my options?

Forum Responses
This is very common throughout the USA and Canada; it is rare when it is not followed. (Sometimes when building your own structure, they will overlook the requirement.) The lumber must be graded and stamped by a certified agency to assure quality, safety and conformity with the building code. Conformity is nearly 100% in larger populated areas.

It would be easy (although not always cost-effective) to hire an inspector to come and grade the lumber on a Saturday, when the grader is not working at his regular mill, or hire an outside grading agency to come in from time to time to grade.
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/C ... umber.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never ever approach a puter thinking this will only take a minute

melody_yesterday

Post by melody_yesterday » Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 pm

no credit check

rent-to-own

no security deposit (although I'm pretty sure I put down $400 on my son's)

QUICK FREE Delivery & Easy Setup
(within 50 miles)

you can find them in other states by other names :

*Porta-Grace
*pre-fab cabins
*portable cabins

son's is almost paid off
mine has been paid off for quite awhile

during the gas crunch I was told to move them both from where they were originally delivered would cost me about $700

we didn't get ours online
http://www.derksenbuildings.com/buildings/gallery
we went to their sales lot

& good thing !

my son looked around & actually found one that had been returned that they deducted some off the price because it was "used" BUT, it had been improved - had insulation in walls,floor tile,wired to the electrical box & some track lighting overhead ! He got lucky I'd say!

(no ladders to the lofts though)
none of the other ones had any of that work already completed !

they don't need a pad to sit on but I would advise insulating underneath

I haven't stayed in mine or even slept one night in it - using it for storage right now

but, am looking for a wooded piece of land (5 acres would work) needs well,electricity either close or available & septic

(IN MISSOURI OZARKS preferably ... close to either state parks or national parks or nature preserves or lake but no lake-fronts LOW TAXES
rent to own or owner financed - someone who is willing to work with us -I'm disabled & he is a USMC Vet

I'm not financially able to pay for all that & really rather wouldn't !

I don't want or need any home owner association rules or fees or dues

thanks for readin !

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:39 am

I was looking into prefab drop in cabins. Also called portable sheds to keep free from zoning controls. But with the price for the size I want, I can build one cheaper.

Plus when I build my own tiny home, with my videos being my only source of income, this will greatly boost my video channel, I hope.

You got a very nice deal with the improvements. Nice job there. Its funny they charge less but it worked nicely for you.

trademyvan

Post by trademyvan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Hello troy and all..I am living off grid also in florida..lost my motorhome in a road hazzard accident. So I had to. Buy a portable building..I wanted to give troy an idea for siding inside tiny home try fir strips thar are really cheap and would look great... I am doing sandpoint well now living. On my owm land ...john st cloud fl

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:47 am

Sad to hear about the accident. Hope you like your new home. The portable buildings can be very nice. I was looking into them for a while. I figure I can build my own home a bit cheaper though. Especially with recycled materials.

I do plan to use pine tongue and groove slats. They are a bit thinner and so pretty when installed. They are not expensive either and brighten up a room very much. I will varnish them and leave the natural color visible.