Off Grid Toilets

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
techman
Site Admin

Re: Off Grid Toilets

Post by techman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:57 am

They have offered to do a test, at a cost. My friend just paid about $5,000 for a test on his land. No thank you. When it rains hard here, we often get flash flooding. All over the area that is.

My place dries right up within 15 minutes so I know that the land soaks up the water nicely.

But again, I hope to just recycle my water for use. No waste, no dumping and no pollution.

I am going off written code for now. When my system is designed then I will talk to the health dept and show them my plans. I believe they will accept my ideas.

Lets see.

Frozenoem

Post by Frozenoem » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:56 pm

I can't see anyone being charged $5000 for a perc test?
Sounds like your friend had a septic system designed by a licensed professional.

Shucks, in Maine perc test isn't required just the design by the licensed site evaluator, and a pass off on the design by a plumbing inspector. We're still allowed alternative waste management systems.

What county do you exist in, I admit NY state doesn't thrill me - had friends that sold their cabin because they were with the confines of a park in the mountains. Too much paperwork for anything and a total inability to do much of anything that they wanted to do on their own land.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:15 pm

He may have had it combined. His English is not perfect but he did say a perc test. I asked the township and they said yes it is a couple thousand to have it done. But it looks like they let you do it yourself as well here. I have instructions for how to do it straight from the township.

I am in Orange county I think. Its on the border.

I hope to stay and make it work here. Its a nice property.

Frozenoem

Post by Frozenoem » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:34 pm

I'd be curious to find out what they would say to your having a "natureshead" or "airhead" store bought composting toilet and a graywater only drywell capable of handling 800-1000 gallons of sinks/tub/water. Wonder if the requirement for above would shrink from septic to graywatewr or drywell with the purchase of comeercial grade composter that can be turned and wouldn't have stink.

They both are around $800-900, and keep the wet separate from the poop. So 60-90 poops before emptying and urine is 1.8 or 2.gallons which is dumpable after more liquid is added to make safer.

I think they really want to ensure that you have an honest to gosh need for no septic tank. The purchase of a marine/rv/or land composter says you have met their requirements. The only power is a 12V or 110V for the exhaust gases (no stink) up the pipe. But if the stink pipe went through the roof powered exhaust probably wouldn't be required.

My neighbor's went through the sidewall of her cabin which is why she had a solar powered vent, 90 year old woman on the roof wouldn't have been pleasant.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:44 am

I will probably have to go with a commercial composting toilet yes. Homemade toilets are not allowed but the commercial ones are.

And yes a holding tank would work for gray water according to my studies. I hope to avoid that cost though and just filter the water as I said and recycle it. That is normally allowed and would fit in nicely with my off grid and green living plans.

My old camper has a black pipe extending up through the roof which heats up when the sun shines, causing hot air to rise up through it and pull up stinky air. Its a passive system which works very well. It even works in the shade because the holding tank is normally cooler than the hot air up top, causing natural convection.