Off Grid Toilets

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
bsky201

Off Grid Toilets

Post by bsky201 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:04 am

Troy,

Long time viewer, first time commenter. I was reading through the current issue of Sierra Club magazine and came across an article (very short - 1 page) on off grid toilets. I created a .pdf and a .jpeg but can't seem to upload either. I'd love to pass along to you if you can give me some advice on how to do so.

Regards,

Bernie

techman
Site Admin

Re: Off Grid Toilets

Post by techman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:03 am

You try can underneath the comment box, when you post a reply. Look below the box you type in and below the submit button. There is an upload button. If it does not allow it then my safety settings are too strict. Not sure about PDF but JPG should upload fine

SurplusSupply

Post by SurplusSupply » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:59 pm

I would also like to see this article if you don't mind. Thank you.

Frozenoem

Post by Frozenoem » Fri May 30, 2014 10:43 pm

I was reading an article about a AARP friend's tiny home build, and you know how surfing works - there are other off-grid users in NY who have composting toilets in use. Thought you might by interested in knowing some are used around the corner from Ithaca and the college at a $59 night b&b called Karenville. I think it's on Curtis Street? Road? if you're ever up there you might be able to check with the owners' about how they managed a business B&B and no electricity, re: zoning and composting toilet. There B&B reminds me of your site except for your lack of goats, there 200 feet awayu from the Forest in the midst of a pasture.

I had a neighbor at my camp who used a Canadian made composting 12V toilet to survive new regulations under her lease agreement, one of those red tape PITA that might have had her install a septic tank 100 feet from a lake. The regulatory commission backed down after they read the particulars on her semi-electric composting toilet. The 12-v supplied by solar panel and battery, for the exhaust.

I tried the vintage 1867 4-hole outhouse, and the composting humanure, and one very antique 1940-ish military issue metal can that would have gas poured in then lit until clean as a whistle.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:25 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I know that composting toilets are legal here. The problem is that you cannot have a homemade system in NY. It must be up to their code, which means it has to cost thousands of dollars to do the same job as my 5 gallon bucket.

I can get mine up to code when I have a couple thousand saved up to replace my bucket. Then all will be well and fine.

Sad to think of burning up such fine fertilizer. Oh, and the gas prices. Ouch.

Frozenoem

Post by Frozenoem » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:00 pm

I believe I saw a picture of their humanure (same as your old RV video) toilet and it was quite similar, please don't ask me for a webpage - it started on tinyhomes and progressed to I know not where.
I realize that Ithaca is probably a different county to you (It's been 30 years since I've wanted to see NYState) but, if someone can have a B&B and a humanure thought it would be worth a try.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:46 pm

I believe that eventually I may be able to convince the health dept to allow me to use my homemade toilet but I first have to figure out a way to show them that I will not dump gray water on the ground.

The regs state that I need a drain field with a capacity of at least 1,000 gallons of water per day. That is a LOT of water. No way I will ever use that much. But anyway, that is stated in the regs and it is something I need to find a way around.

Frozenoem

Post by Frozenoem » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:25 pm

Are you planning to put your tiny home in a wetland?? Have you researched the 'percolation" for your soil or has the county.

1000 Gallon leach field is what most would use for a 4 bedroom house. How large a septic tank are they saying you require for this house you're building.

And if it's just a matter of gray water what do the reg's have to say about using a dry well cost around $169. Labor to dig the pit and line with stones, and back fill are extra. My dry well is grandfathered, and is made of recycled washed oil/water tanks and rocks. Forty + years old but, my county allows if it's in place.

Check out 'thenaturalhome' to wrap your head around alternatives and then getting the county to give a yes or no to other than the typical. Septic tank, distribution box, and perforated pipes going x feet wide and long to create that 1000 gallon per day capacity.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:44 pm

That is true but then again the regs here demand that you build a 4 bedroom home. No joke. They want to keep the property values (taxes) high around here to they limit what you can and cannot build.

I am thinking about a filtration system for my gray water which passes the water through a sand and gravel filter, then into a holding tank which I can use for gardening.

Nice, neat and green.

I will present the idea when I have it designed nicely on paper for them.

Lets see.

Frozenoem

Post by Frozenoem » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Thought I hit preview but, guess I hit submit on the last one.

Is the info you're working off of written codes or have you asked the local regulator for an explanation of the codes.
have they offered to do an LTAR or percolation test for them to decide if you really need a 1000gal septic tank, and 1000 gallon leach field.

It sounds like you may be working off written codes and haven't asked them to look at your place. Either that or you're in an area of bad drainage - clay, wetlands, where the water pools and doesn't filter through the soil easily. Has anyone dug a test pit to do a water filtration test. If you perform a 'percolation' test maybe you can find a better place for your tiny home build.

My drywell/grey water tank is solely for washing machine, I would be allowed to use it for sink and shower but, it would cost too much to divert to my present septic tank. This dry well was built before the cesspool (a definite NoNo) was replaced with a septic tank and leach field.

Not promising anything but, if the CO 'thenaturalhome' can't offer suggestions for you ask 'InfiltratorSystems" in CT they both have polymer materials for septic/drywell/and other materials. Sometimes these types of ideas can convince local regulators that you don't require concrete septic tanks and huge leach fields. Kinda gets them to think outside the box or the way they've been handling things for the last 20-30 years.