Brrr!

Discussions about The Off Grid Project and The DIY World Youtube videos. Feel free to chat here with one another and share anything you like.
VJJohn

Brrr!

Post by VJJohn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:20 pm

3F with wind chills of -14F here in NY state. Got down to 1F this morning. Just got 8" of snow yesterday. Let the place get down to the low 40s inside last night & this morning. They're saying it might get up to 30F Sunday, but be very windy, then back down to 1F Monday.

It's up to 53F inside now, but I'm cheating. Due to our age & health reasons, We're no longer off the grid. We've been on the grid's electricity for about 2.5 years now. So we're running an 800 watt radiant (reflective/infrared) heater this afternoon along with the wood stove. It sends heat more directly to where it's pointed at rather than all around the room. Can't afford the electric bill to run it much. So I hope this single digit weather don't last too long.

If it's at least in the 20s outside, it's manageable for us to just use the fire without any electric, unless we're having a lazy or bad day.

We don't seem to mind it when it gets down to the 40s inside, unless it stays that cold inside all day. I think our body core temp, just can't keep up long-term with it, so needs to eventually warm up to the 50s for a while every day. At night, no problem buried under the blankets. If it gets too cold, the wood stove is just 10' away, so is no big deal to get up & feed the fire... or cheat occasionally & use the electric.

Just as I typed this I noticed it just got down to 48F inside. Time to throw on more wood, or turn the electric heater on again.

Kitties don't seem to mind 40s much except when they're sleeping. They'll curl up with each other & against us for warmth when sleeping in the 40s. They usually don't even mind sitting in the much colder unheated back room to stare out their favorite window (better view of birds & squirrels), but the past few days, they won't go back there anymore because it's even too cold for them. We usually keep their litter box, food & water dish back here. But since their water dish froze back there last week, we moved that stuff to the kitchen area.

Have you heard how your cat & chickens are doing lately?